Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Flytraps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have about 180 VFT's. They are scattered throughout my collection. 90% of them were wild collected by the Carolina Biological Supply Company when collecting was not an issue. Now, they too do TC. I personally hate TC'ed plants, and cross pollinate all my VFT's for genetic diversity. I get so many varieties, I just call them VFT's as that is what they are, just with varying genetics. I did get some "cultivars" but my pride are my ancient (like me!) babies. My favorite is the so called Dingley's Giant, though it is no where near as big as my 33 year olds. Also, if you haven't yet, read any and all pinned topics in the forum discussion lists inside the VFT, Sarracenia, Butterwort, etc, pages. If you need help viewing all the subjects, just ask. A large part of my VFT's are in a working bog in the sarracenia pages. Find the trip to Bugweed's (in 3 parts) and have a ball. Very picture intensive.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Stovepipe (The Beast) RIP My friend. JMatt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These pictures are of the same groop of plants back in 2004 and 2005. This is just to show you that they didn't look quite as good because of flowering. I think the 2004 shot I let half flower. I was on a seed kick back then. Seems to me that I do much better not letting them flower. The plants multiply like crazy. When I finally unpotted them in the fall (05) I think I had close to 90 plants. I started with somewhere around 30 or 40. The previous pictures that I posted, I put in a bigger pot and only put about 40 plants in.
    I actually have another pot same size that I put most of the rest in. That pot never made it to our October NECPS show because one day I found my cat sleeping on the pot. They were all flat and full of cat hair. Hopefully that pot will look better next year. I haven't had to buy any flytraps for years, other than maybe some red dragons or the big mouth. I gave three very large pots of nice flytraps to fellow workers for there kids this past summer. Probably another 30 plants. They killed every one of them.
    The coolest looking plant that I think I have had in a while was a nice double trap plant. Just one leaf, but they were perfect.
    There are some cool shots of it on the NECPS web site.

I never baught any in bulk. I'm not sure how old these are. Some of my plants might be as much as 10-12 yrs old.
    I'm really not sure how many I have, maybe 200? Maybe more?
    Later

Stovepipe (The Beast) RIP My friend. JMatt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bugweed,
    Sounds very cool! I will have to try and find it.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow bugweed. All wild collected. Is it possible that you can sell me atleast a small UNIQUE wild collected VFT which u have ?? I really want to see how well a wild plant can perform in comparision to a TC one. wow...180.....man! I would love to have just 20 atleast at this time when I am just starting.

I am actually planning on doing an experiment this summer. I will buy two random dentate's at 5$ from walmart...pot them in good potting mix and leave them outside...let me see if nature takes care of them and compare them to my terrrarium specimen. I am using those dentate's because I do not want to risk any of my 2 typicals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vraev, I do not sell plants. I will give you 15. You are on a waiting list, however. I ran into major problems last year, and got none out to those still waiting. Now that I am back on my feet, I can get auction plants to those who "won" them, and friends who asked for what I could spare. I will also send as many wild plants' seed as I can. We will discuss this later, but you can have whatever I can spare.

45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol! thanks bugweed. Thats definately more than I can ask you for. I really appreciate it. I have seen your pics there...wow...now thats a collection. hands off you are an expert at CP's. Not taking away anything from Jmatt here....its still the best I have seen. Bugweed's plants are all dispersed in many pots...but I like the teeming pot of death that Jmatt has too. Bugweed's plants again seem to be the most rugged VFT's I have ever seen.

Here u go guys...I spent 20 min taking these pics..however,,these are in no league as yours are. So I present my HUMBLE VFT collection. The seeds were sent by Brad. There might be around 15-20 in that lot there....can't count...they were placed too close...#### those seeds are soo small

the center is a B52....6 inches or so across. on the left is a measley walmart dentate....on top of which is a 3-4 inch typical.....and on top of the B52 is a red dragon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vraev, NO collection is too small that is healthy, and well grown. You learn as you grow, just as I did. The size of the collection is immaterial to the love and care put into them. We will talk later!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ooh bugweed...u have no idea the lengths I have gone to for these plants. I have literally walked around 6 miles (to and fro) to just find the right water for these plants. Spent hours and hours just searching for lights...spent soo many countless hours worrying that the leaves seem too big to be normal.....spent too much time wondering whether they will stay alive or not. The only lesson I learnt is: Plants live on a different time scale...but they let you know. My VFT's tell me that i have done decent for them and I am happy that my plants can live with me. I am soo attached to my VFT;s you have no idea. I worry if I just leave my plants at uni when I go back home for the weekend. These plants are literally my babies. lol! I am normal...but the effort and the attachment to these plants is tremendous. However, now my VFT's are settled in. They will get no disturbance till next winter when I will put them in fridge for dormancy.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast