Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Flytraps

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm...it still kind of surprises me how well the plants have done from this::

this was in september.

I thank all the fellow members here....seedjar, copcarfc, mabudon, justlikeapril, joosa and so many others on the OCPS forum who helped me get to the level my plants are now.

BTW...the bottom left dentate is in the fridge for dormancy and the little 2 leaves sticking out on the left is a 4 yr old typical (off TC + 1 yr in soil) which Rick Keehn whom I purchased the plants from advised me to do dormancy.

Stop having a boring tuna, stop having a boring life! neon-eon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OOh, JMatt those are amazing man. The bright red traps amaze my ADD...LOL. Seriously though, you must have put a lot of time into making such a wonderful collection. This picture is bringing back my VFT addiction from three months ago. My dad said he'll help me landcape a bog-garden in the spring, So I'll definateley have to add a bunch of VFT's. I hope my collection will one day look as good as yours. Thanks for the pics man, they are very inspiring.

-peace
    -Gabe
    -No matter what you do with your life, I still care about you. -Mr P.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awwww! You don't have to thank me! I like to help!

Stovepipe (The Beast) RIP My friend. JMatt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    neon-eon,
    Thanks for the complement! It's really not that difficult to do. It use to be, but I have gotten better over the years. For me anyway, when I first started growing VFT's I couldn't keep one alive for nothing! I had to learn to respect there dormancy in winter, and grow them outside, not inside. People do grow them inside with great results, not me. I do sometimes start seedlings inside during the winter and carry them over till spring then put them outside. Thats about it though.
    They must like the New England air or something?

My main thing is Cephalotus plants. They can be so easy at times, and so difficult too. They drive me crazy but I enjoy them the most. I will be posting pictures of them soon in the other forum.
    Later

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wups!
    I messed up and took a few pictures off.
    Oh well, if anyone wants to see them again just ask and I will repost. I am new at this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JMatt, just out of curiosity, how long have you been growing Dionaea for?

Oh, and you're welcome vraev.
    -Joel from Southern California

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol! it is true guys....all of you answered my stupid questions and now all the resources I have on CP's is from peer knowledge I obtained here and on other boards. lol! just looking at that first thread of mine....I can shake my head....all my q's.....I don't want to give too much light, I don't want to feed it....I want it to grow well. lol lol! I guess I got back to the dark side and went with recommended info and the result I got is so far magnifico . Can't imagine to see how my plants will be in april....4 more months from now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    joossa,
    I think I have been growing VFT's on and off since I was a kid, like 30 yrs. I really started getting into it about 17 yrs ago. It was then when I really did some reading on them and started getting better at it, keeping them alive more than one season!
    In the early 90's I probably had about 150 plants but lost like 98% of them one brutal winter. I tried to keep them outside just in a cold frame. It worked for me the two previous years but this was a very cold winter. They were toast. Didn't take me long to get back on track though.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast