Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Flytraps

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JMatt, thats interesting to know...but aren;t there soo many ppl who let fly traps winter under snow and so on for even the canadian winter and they still pop back up next spring?? Even the cobraplants carnivrous plants ebook says they do it that way.

It makes me wonder if it depends if the bulb underneath is still decently warm. basically have enough depth underneath to have decent temperatures for the VFt corm and have snow on the top...then the corm should still be fine to spring back to life in the spring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]It makes me wonder if it depends if the bulb underneath is still decently warm. basically have enough depth underneath to have decent temperatures for the VFt corm and have snow on the top
    You're right. Depth and the amount of growing media surrounding the rhizome (this ties into whether the plants are grown in small individual pots, large pots, or bogs) affect the temperature the rhizome experiences.
    During a harsh, cold winter storm, a VFT has a better chance of surviving if it is dormant in a large pot with lots of insulation (growing media) rather than being in a small pot. Small pots obviously hold less growing media, which allows everything in the pot to get much colder. This is why people use mulch and other materials to "cover and protect" there plants during harsh storms. I have also read suggestions and read about some people placing their pots in a hole in the ground, making the ground act as an insulator!
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm...thats really a very nice idea buddy. You know what....I think I will try that.....this upcoming summer..I will buy a big regular sized glazed ceramic pot that is undrainded....fill it with my magic VFT potting soil (lol! peat and perlite)...then pot a couple walmart dentate's in it and experiment if they survive all the time....summer + winter until next season. I will not AT ALL interfere...only let them survive on their own from rain water and so on. The pot will be buried into the ground in the back lawn among the grass. Then it will be interesting.

Stovepipe (The Beast) RIP My friend. JMatt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with what you guys said. Back then I really didn't know to much about mulching and other techniques to protect them.
    I think it has to do with moisture too. Even frozen I think it is better than a somewhat dry media. I think that was part of my problem then too. Plus small pots. I did once have a pot that was sitting in a bowl of water, it froze then it rained and refroze. The whole plant was encased in ice. It lived. I don't take to many chances anymore, it's easy just to put them in the basement or the fridge. I do use much bigger pots now though, as you can see.

Stop having a boring tuna, stop having a boring life! neon-eon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Portland Oregon, so I'm pretty much in the same temperature range as the Carolinas. I'm glad because it's much more natural for my VFT's this way. When summer arrives I'm pretty confident that my plants will redden up. We're actually expecting snow tomorrow so I might move them, along with my sarracenias into the garage for only a couple of days. I moved them in there during lasts month's wind storm as well. Growing VFT's outside is definitely the way to go, If you live in the right area. I'm thinking about making my bog garden around five or six feet in diameter so that should give me more than enough space to start a real collection.
    Glad to hear that there are still loyal fans of the Venus Fly Trap.

-peace
    -Gabe
    -No matter what you do with your life, I still care about you. -Mr P.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Glad to hear that there are still loyal fans of the Venus Fly Trap.
    Yeah!! VFT's rule! They're my favorite of all CP's!
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol! #### yeah! VFT's are the best CP's. they are little miracles of nature.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lmao. Reminds of of Family Guy when Peter was like "I like Dandylions... I mean who the #### decided tulips were so great?!"

LMAO!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast