What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flytraps

Vraev, I do not sell plants. I will give you 15. You are on a waiting list, however. I ran into major problems last year, and got none out to those still waiting. Now that I am back on my feet, I can get auction plants to those who "won" them, and friends who asked for what I could spare. I will also send as many wild plants' seed as I can. We will discuss this later, but you can have whatever I can spare.

lol! thanks bugweed. Thats definately more than I can ask you for. I really appreciate it.
smile.gif
I have seen your pics there...wow...now thats a collection. hands off you are an expert at CP's.
smile.gif
Not taking away anything from Jmatt here....its still the best I have seen. Bugweed's plants are all dispersed in many pots...but I like the teeming pot of death that Jmatt has too.
smile.gif
Bugweed's plants again seem to be the most rugged VFT's I have ever seen.
biggrin.gif

Here u go guys...I spent 20 min taking these pics..however,,these are in no league as yours are. So I present my HUMBLE VFT collection. The seeds were sent by Brad. There might be around 15-20 in that lot there....can't count...they were placed too close...#### those seeds are soo small
tounge.gif

the center is a B52....6 inches or so across. on the left is a measley walmart dentate....on top of which is a 3-4 inch typical.....and on top of the B52 is a red dragon.

piccollds9.jpg

Vraev, NO collection is too small that is healthy, and well grown. You learn as you grow, just as I did. The size of the collection is immaterial to the love and care put into them. We will talk later!

ooh bugweed...u have no idea the lengths I have gone to for these plants. I have literally walked around 6 miles (to and fro) to just find the right water for these plants. Spent hours and hours just searching for lights...spent soo many countless hours worrying that the leaves seem too big to be normal.....spent too much time wondering whether they will stay alive or not. The only lesson I learnt is: Plants live on a different time scale...but they let you know. My VFT's tell me that i have done decent for them and I am happy that my plants can live with me. I am soo attached to my VFT;s you have no idea. I worry if I just leave my plants at uni when I go back home for the weekend. These plants are literally my babies. lol! I am normal...but the effort and the attachment to these plants is tremendous. However, now my VFT's are settled in. They will get no disturbance till next winter when I will put them in fridge for dormancy.

hmm...it still kind of surprises me how well the plants have done from this::

this was in september.
smile.gif

ter22us1.jpg

I thank all the fellow members here....seedjar, copcarfc, mabudon, justlikeapril, joosa and so many others on the OCPS forum who helped me get to the level my plants are now.
smile.gif

BTW...the bottom left dentate is in the fridge for dormancy and the little 2 leaves sticking out on the left is a 4 yr old typical (off TC + 1 yr in soil) which Rick Keehn whom I purchased the plants from advised me to do dormancy.

OOh, JMatt those are amazing man. The bright red traps amaze my ADD...LOL. Seriously though, you must have put a lot of time into making such a wonderful collection. This picture is bringing back my VFT addiction from three months ago. My dad said he'll help me landcape a bog-garden in the spring, So I'll definateley have to add a bunch of VFT's. I hope my collection will one day look as good as yours. Thanks for the pics man, they are very inspiring.

-peace
-Gabe

Awwww! You don't have to thank me! I like to help!

neon-eon,
Thanks for the complement! It's really not that difficult to do. It use to be, but I have gotten better over the years. For me anyway, when I first started growing VFT's I couldn't keep one alive for nothing! I had to learn to respect there dormancy in winter, and grow them outside, not inside. People do grow them inside with great results, not me. I do sometimes start seedlings inside during the winter and carry them over till spring then put them outside. Thats about it though.
They must like the New England air or something?

My main thing is Cephalotus plants. They can be so easy at times, and so difficult too. They drive me crazy but I enjoy them the most. I will be posting pictures of them soon in the other forum.
Later

Wups!
I messed up and took a few pictures off.
Oh well, if anyone wants to see them again just ask and I will repost.
crazy.gif
I am new at this.

JMatt, just out of curiosity, how long have you been growing Dionaea for?

Oh, and you're welcome vraev.

lol! it is true guys....all of you answered my stupid questions and now all the resources I have on CP's is from peer knowledge I obtained here and on other boards. lol! just looking at that first thread of mine....I can shake my head....all my q's.....I don't want to give too much light, I don't want to feed it....I want it to grow well. lol lol! I guess I got back to the dark side and went with recommended info and the result I got is so far magnifico
tounge.gif
. Can't imagine to see how my plants will be in april....4 more months from now.

joossa,
I think I have been growing VFT's on and off since I was a kid, like 30 yrs. I really started getting into it about 17 yrs ago. It was then when I really did some reading on them and started getting better at it, keeping them alive more than one season!
In the early 90's I probably had about 150 plants but lost like 98% of them one brutal winter. I tried to keep them outside just in a cold frame. It worked for me the two previous years but this was a very cold winter. They were toast. Didn't take me long to get back on track though.

JMatt, thats interesting to know...but aren;t there soo many ppl who let fly traps winter under snow and so on for even the canadian winter and they still pop back up next spring?? Even the cobraplants carnivrous plants ebook says they do it that way.

It makes me wonder if it depends if the bulb underneath is still decently warm. basically have enough depth underneath to have decent temperatures for the VFt corm and have snow on the top...then the corm should still be fine to spring back to life in the spring.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It makes me wonder if it depends if the bulb underneath is still decently warm. basically have enough depth underneath to have decent temperatures for the VFt corm and have snow on the top
You're right. Depth and the amount of growing media surrounding the rhizome (this ties into whether the plants are grown in small individual pots, large pots, or bogs) affect the temperature the rhizome experiences.
During a harsh, cold winter storm, a VFT has a better chance of surviving if it is dormant in a large pot with lots of insulation (growing media) rather than being in a small pot. Small pots obviously hold less growing media, which allows everything in the pot to get much colder. This is why people use mulch and other materials to "cover and protect" there plants during harsh storms. I have also read suggestions and read about some people placing their pots in a hole in the ground, making the ground act as an insulator!

hmm...thats really a very nice idea buddy. You know what....I think I will try that.....this upcoming summer..I will buy a big regular sized glazed ceramic pot that is undrainded....fill it with my magic VFT potting soil (lol! peat and perlite)...then pot a couple walmart dentate's in it and experiment if they survive all the time....summer + winter until next season. I will not AT ALL interfere...only let them survive on their own from rain water and so on. The pot will be buried into the ground in the back lawn among the grass. Then it will be interesting.
smile.gif

I agree with what you guys said. Back then I really didn't know to much about mulching and other techniques to protect them.
I think it has to do with moisture too. Even frozen I think it is better than a somewhat dry media. I think that was part of my problem then too. Plus small pots. I did once have a pot that was sitting in a bowl of water, it froze then it rained and refroze. The whole plant was encased in ice. It lived. I don't take to many chances anymore, it's easy just to put them in the basement or the fridge. I do use much bigger pots now though, as you can see.

I live in Portland Oregon, so I'm pretty much in the same temperature range as the Carolinas. I'm glad because it's much more natural for my VFT's this way. When summer arrives I'm pretty confident that my plants will redden up. We're actually expecting snow tomorrow so I might move them, along with my sarracenias into the garage for only a couple of days. I moved them in there during lasts month's wind storm as well. Growing VFT's outside is definitely the way to go, If you live in the right area. I'm thinking about making my bog garden around five or six feet in diameter so that should give me more than enough space to start a real collection.
Glad to hear that there are still loyal fans of the Venus Fly Trap.

-peace
-Gabe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Glad to hear that there are still loyal fans of the Venus Fly Trap.
banana2.gif
Yeah!! VFT's rule! They're my favorite of all CP's!
banana2.gif

lol! #### yeah! VFT's are the best CP's. they are little miracles of nature.
smile.gif

Lmao. Reminds of of Family Guy when Peter was like "I like Dandylions... I mean who the #### decided tulips were so great?!"

LMAO!

Back