Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VFTs breaking dormancy early

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Temperature, photoperiod, water, etc.... are all part of the big picture with dormancy. I wouldn't cut any of the new growth off. They'll need it for photosynthesis. I also think they will do as the crocus do - get a false start and go back to slow or nearly no growth when winter resumes. I wouldn't change anything.

Stop having a boring tuna, stop having a boring life! neon-eon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me I'd probably just leave it alone and let nature take care of the rest. Every VFT is different, and if it wants to come out of dormancy early than let it. My guess is that this may even happen to VFT's in the wild. With my Venus fly traps I prefer to take the "natural" approach.
    -No matter what you do with your life, I still care about you. -Mr P.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dormancy isn't a 'switch' as such. Over winter they may not grow at all, or grow slowly when the temperatures allow. Even if they experience warmth for a couple of weeks, the photoperiod will indicate the time of year and new growth consists of large leaves and little traps anyway.
    One of my plants even caught and digested a slug during December, so dormancy doesn't mean they're out for the count. Root growth also continues during dormancy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12