Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cold damaged Vft

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my pots are probably frozen and there fine. Last year same thing happened. usually put the pots in the fridge but its been so warm here in philly that we only had a cold week so far. they can take the frosts easily.
    ~Brandon~ aka ~Carnivorkid~
    Member of SEPACPS
    My Growlist

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by z5guy View Post
    o, so i should just keep it in a cool dormancy area intill spring like normal and ignore the damaged leaves?
    If the leaves are black and dead you might consider cutting them off just to ensure that they don't rot and cause other problems. My VFT's look terrible right now, but you can tell they are still kicking because they are slowly sending up tiny leaves. Can't wait until spring to get them growing again! Actually, a dormancy like the one you describe I believe has better growth results come spring because of the required rest necessary.

Keep us posted.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember never to bring a frozen VFT into a warm house to thaw. It'll defrost too quickly and turn to mush. A slow thaw, as would happen in nature is safe though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im going to be keeping it in a cold garage , which has seemed to do fine for dormancy before. The leaves arent black their just very bumpy and deformed and have tiny traps. But unfortunately as i was about to put it into the garage i noticed that theirs tiny white insects on it which i belive to be aphids, so before i put itnot dormancy im going to have to submerge it underwater along with my sarr seedlings. but what your saying is when its time to bring it out of dormancy dont just bring it in but let the garge warm up with the spring?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but what your saying is when its time to bring it out of dormancy dont just bring it in but let the garge warm up with the spring?
    Yes. And if possible, let it gradually get more light. I don't know if you have a window in your garage, but if you do you might want to move it closer to it as the day length increases so they are getting both warmer and more light with the coming of spring.

xvart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

Yes. And if possible, let it gradually get more light. I don't know if you have a window in your garage, but if you do you might want to move it closer to it as the day length increases so they are getting both warmer and more light with the coming of spring.

xvart.
    Yeah, this is one of the biggest downsides of using a garage to hold your plants during the winter: most of them don’t have windows and the plant does not experience an increase in day length and light intensity.
    Remember to keep your attic or basement open as options, and use them if they have a window over a dark garage…
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    alright, i have a small plastic greenhouse which tends to stay in the 40s and is located in the sun room which might be a good locaction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    alright, i have a small plastic greenhouse which tends to stay in the 40s and is located in the sun room which might be a good locaction.
    Sounds perfect.

xvart.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast