Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anything I can change?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you repot, I'd up the sand portion. 1 to 1 sand to peat mixture is typical. VFTs have weak roots and grow more quickly with less peat.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah! It makes sense...when I removed a couple of VFTs for dormancy compared to a sarr...the VFt's roots don't hold on too well to the peat...u should see the sarr.......it keeps the peat around it like a blanket....very fibrous roots cmpared to the filamentous style pf VFT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, VFTs like a less soggy medium than pure peat, but they still require a peat or sphagnum substrate, but appreciate additions such as sand or perlite, which act as an aerator.

If your plant is happy and growing, then all is well. Plants are like any organism though - if your plant doesn't have the best genes, it might never become a huge plant but be happy just getting along. I have a Red Piranha VFT which has been tiny for the three years I've had it - it just doesn't seem a vigorous plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They've been in the same medium for maybe three years. I always hear on here of peoples VFT's "multiplying" which these don't really seem to do. They do grow new leaves, but never spread. I was kind of hoping they'd eventually take over the pot...but the number of rosettes has not changed.

Thanks all for the suggestions! I think I will repot them. Maybe instead of waiting I'll just order in a few more VFT's to make it look fuller.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you clip the flower stalks or do you let them flower (if ever)? They'll grow faster if you clip the flowers.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been clipping them. They do try to flower every year, or sometimes in the fall too.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12