Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Light Burn?

The Yarn Nerd aka VFT Gal krochetnkat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joe002 View Post
    Krochetnkat - How hot does that new bulb get compared to the old bulb? I know I have a few Compact Fluorescent bulbs around the house then they get pretty hot!
    I monitored the temperature of the tank all day and, while there WAS change, it was only by a couple of degrees.

We will get the new area set up for them today, I will buy a new thermometer/hydrometer and I will see what happens. There is a person I know who has had VFTs for years and who has seem my plants in the past, he is planning to come by and take a look and tell me what I should do.
    The Yarn Nerd

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say just get a new one and hope for the best for this one.

The Yarn Nerd aka VFT Gal krochetnkat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. I went out today and got the setup for the terrarium which right now has one daylight 100 compact fluorescent bulb that has an output of 1600 lumens, surrounded the entire tank with mylar in exception of one area which I am going to be using to monitor heat throughout the day. I purchased one more of the same bulb in case it was needed but I will probably put the 60 in which would give me a total of 2400 lumens. My concern is that with it being a 10 gallon tank I will put too much and bake them.
    The Yarn Nerd

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember the rate lumens on CF bulbs is measured at the source (ie measure from the center or at least the surface of the bulb). Light energy drops off exponentially further away from the source.

1600 lumens is approximately equal to a very dull day. 3200 lumens is like a cloudy dull day. 55000 and you're talking a clear sunny day in the dead of winter.

If you keep at least a 2 inch wide opening along the length of your tank heat should not be a problem. You could try turning the tank (provided it is rectangular) on the side and the glass will cut a lot of the heat put out by the lights.

Barry's recent FAQ update on light intensity and light quality may be useful.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sunny day in winter Lol, I was so proud of my 20,000 lumens, too

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hello there,

I was just passing by and noticed this thread. I appreciate firstly that JLP has recommended my setup . If I can help here are tips from me:

1) Virginia - you can soo definately grow VFT;s outside...they would love it and you will have real happy plants.

2) If you still want a terrarium -- look up my old thread - making a terrarium , materials in hand thread where I have a picture setup of my terrarium. However remember NOT TO GET SCHULTZ peat...get the big bale of pure sphagnum peat.

3) Biggest pain in the a** - Lighting - Seeing that you are in the US obviously....get "Lights of America - Sunlight desk lamp" If you can get 2 of these. That is a minimum for the 10 gallon aquarium which I have. I currently have one of these + 1 ott lite 13 watt lamp. After all that....and after atleast 4 months....the plants will show signs of recovery if all other conditions are right...like water etc.

This is my setup early jan: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/47080724/
    When I started they looked really bad...but since they were fresh TC plants...they took the torture. Now I can see them becoming more delicate.

Main thing....DO NOT GET INCANDESCENT lighting. Get full spectrum fluoroscent. Get the lights of america sunlight desk lamp. it is really nice....VFT's love it. The more the better.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123