Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Light Burn?

The Yarn Nerd aka VFT Gal krochetnkat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Light Burn?

I know this is going to sound absolutely insane, but I bought a new light for my terrarium...
    a Sylvania Daylight 13 watt Compact Fluorescent bulb (because they didn't have anything bigger) I have it roughly 6 inches from the plants, and another grow light (Which Grrr has survived on the last 6 months due to my ignorace), roughly 4 inches from the terrarium. It is a very SMALL Fishbowl type terrarium (Tho... 10 gallon coming today, still small I know). I want to add that I AM Going light shopping today. I was told where to go after I bought this smaller bulb.

I woke up this morning and my Grrr wasn't as pretty of a green and his leaves are weak looking. I can't imagine how this would be light burn... the temps have maintained a 71 degree, 59-65 range humidity, the only other thing I did was introduce two small planters in the terrarium that I bought last night, just until I could get the new home tonight (They are all in pots/trays tho and none touching.

I have never seen light burn, and I am completely paranoid that I have done something wrong. Does this sound like Light burn? Is it a possibility that this is only just reaction to the new light? The others seems fine and they are going from a horrible HORRIBLE environment to a bad one hahaha
    The Yarn Nerd

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How was it getting light before? The grow light? It might be just a little bit of shock from the change in light.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    How was it getting light before? The grow light? It might be just a little bit of shock from the change in light.

xvart.
    Yes, He had two grow lights (That was what the guy at Walmart had told us to get hahaha That is actually why I was searching for help, his new leaves were not getting full size and I could tell they were struglling to form traps).

So if he is having problems ajusting to the light, should I wait before I introduce the new proper lighting? (I was just getting ready to run out and get the new larger bulb).
    The Yarn Nerd

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't comprehend an extra 13 watts hurting anything.

Check your thermometer and humidity readings. It's possible that your instruments aren't accurate and are getting a false reading/broken.

Pics would be nice

As far as the leaves/traps, it could be trying to go dormant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The picture is horrible. I have been saying for... ummm... 2 years now that I was gonna get a better camera. Maybe this will be inspiration to get one *sigh*

You can see how the light b4 wasn't good becaus th traps didn't form... but he was a nice green regardless and was a nice texture. You can see that the leaves are folding under and 2 of the darker leaves, one was just forming a nice trap, is on it's way out. It was green last night!!!

I bought 2 13 watt bulbs last night, only introduced one. I was planning to go and get a larger wattage with more lumens from a specialty store today because I am getting the 10 gallon.

If this is just light shock... should I do anything special for them?
    Last edited by krochetnkat; 02-10-2007 at 11:25 AM. Reason: TO remove photgraph. It is impossible to make a proper diagnosis from a photo from a VGA camera with poor light
    The Yarn Nerd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post

As far as the leaves/traps, it could be trying to go dormant.
    He is just coming out of dormancy
    The Yarn Nerd

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my goodness.

It's severely etoliated. It's suffering from light deprivation. This spring, put it outside and fill your terrarium with D. adelae which don't mine low light

Dionaea are suited for full sun. You live in Virginia right? Perfect!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of bulb are the grow lights? And what color temp is the CF bulb (cool white, warm white etc.) The color of the plant looks different under different lights. My VFTs look sickly colored under one of those aquarium/plant lights but grand in full sunlight.

Yes, the plant looks light starved to me too.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast