Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Akai Ryu sensitivity...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse Akai Ryu sensitivity...

Does anyone find that their Akai Ryu cultvar is more sensitive than a typical? In other words do you notice that the Akai Ryu suffers from a longer shock period after repotting, or that it will show signs of stress (due to poor water, light, etc.) faster and longer than a typical VFT?
    Also, have you found that this cultivar grows slower than a typical that is under the same growing conditions?

Thanks.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not if you give it the amount of light it needs.... which is ALOT!!

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did notice that it grows a bit slower. I guess it depends on the clone from which our plants orginated from.

Unregistered
    I have to agree with that last comment about it depending on the clone. I purchased a supposed Akai Ryu / Red Dragon from one seller and it did poor from the get-go. Never grew worth of crap and eventually died and rotted out, despite having a typical and a dente from the same seller which THRIVED in the exact same location with the exact same treatment. I still have those two plants to this day and they both grow extremely well, some of my most vigorous.

Contrast this with some Akai Ryu that I received from a much more well known and reputable seller. All three of those have grown extremely well, despite bad treatment when I was on vacation somewhere, and I dare say that right now they are growing better than some of my others.

So yeah, I definitely think it varies by clone. There must be some bad Akai Ryu floating around out there in the mix, that or they are other, weaker red clones and are simply mislabled to fetch a better price.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ooh btw...do u guys seem to have akai ryu's that grow just long petioles always? Both this one and my regular colsanti farms dentate are always long petioles. I haven't ever seen a rosette form on my plants yet.

Another reason why it may grow slow is the light intensity and so on which many ppl say! Red is one of the PAR ....now if one plant has this pigment in higher intensity...that means it must be reflecting green and red as a combination...so I guess the plant is unable to just get enough light. Also the reason why many red dragons loose their colour. When I got mine it was blood red.....now its green and red....and loosing green every time.....I guess it is still red...but not as much as it was before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will rosette just before winter and with its first few spring leaves.

Akai Ryu is a selfed wild plant, so not the best genetically. There are better red clones out there, but Akai Ryu is the most easily available. The red colouration has no effect on light absorption as the pigment cells are not preventing the chlorophyll in the cells from access to light.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    ooh btw...do u guys seem to have akai ryu's that grow just long petioles always? Both this one and my regular colsanti farms dentate are always long petioles. I haven't ever seen a rosette form on my plants yet.
    Sounds like 'Clayton's Red Sunset' rather than 'Akai Ryu'. Does it lose its leaves in the winter?
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

Would anyone agree in saying that Akai Ryu is the same as a typical in terms of trap size, then?
    -Joel from Southern California

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast