What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baby VFTs

My vfts are arriving from the nursery soon. Since its still too cold for the plants to be outside, is it ok for it to be in a greenhouse-style terrarium until Mid-March? Im kinda worried that the plants would get too stressed out moving from a nice, warm terrarium then to a windy, chilly porch. Also, when next winter comes, since the plants just came from a grower, can it skip the dormancy period? Ive read somewhere that dormancy is not necessary for baby plants.

Most likely your plants are not "babies" They are small plants from tissue culture.

Personally I would put them outdoors full time as soon as the risk of frost is gone.

When dormancy comes around in the fall, the plants, if grown outdoors, will go dormant all on their own. Simply provide a suitable place for them to "sleep" and they should be fine.

Good luck,
Steve

Most likely they are tissue culture plants.

How are those being shipped? Are they many plants in a flask? Several plants bareroot? Or are they potted?

If they are coming in a flask you have to 'harden' them off from laboratory conditions to tank conditions and from there acclimate them to non-tank conditions. This can be a period of weeks to a couple months depending on how long out of tissue culture that plants have been.

Haha...sorry, I called them "babies". They're just tiny thats why I called them babies.

The plants are potted. I had the option to buy them in a flask but I was too scared to go through the "hardening" process. Plus, I heard that not all the plants survive during the process.

Don't worry about dormancy this year. Put 'em in the terrarium with fairly high humidity and slowly lower the humidity over a period of two or three weeks. Then put 'em outside when the chances of frost are gone. You might want to provide them with decreasing partial shade for a couple of weeks to acclimate them to direct sun. Or you can just put them in full sun. The existing leaves may get some sunburn but the new leaves eventually will be fine.

Good luck and enjoy your babies.

One thing for VFT's. If you want to spend minimum care and see them thrive ... grow them outside. i grow VFT's in a terrarium and I guess I can say "with a decent success rate". However, from all I have seen and from my effort....its soo much better if you can grow them outside. CHicago should be like home for the VFT's. check it out and have fun. VFT's are the best CP's....no matter what anyone says ;) ...ofcourse...the next is a nepenthes rajah and aristocles. ;)

Back