Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and would i take it in when it rans

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take it in when it rains? Why? It's a plant - it lives outside. These plants come from bogs and marshy grassland where they get rain all the time. It _needs_ rain. Some populations of flytraps even grow partially submerged in water during the rainiest parts of the season. And bright sun is exactly what all VFTs want. It's not a tropical from some dark, dank jungle somewhere; VFTs are temperate plants that grow in full sun year-round. The brighter, the better. I think you have some wrong impressions about the needs of VFTs; do some reading about where these guys come from and the conditions there. And try not to overthink this. It's a six dollar plant after all; if something goes wrong (which it won't) you can just go get a new one. If you hang out on the trading board here, you might even be able to get some free plants for just the cost of shipping. Trust me, there are hundreds of VFT growers here, many of them living in colder locales than yourself, and almost all of us grow them outside like convention says to do. Nobody deals with sudden deaths due to exposure - VFTs have lived in the elements for millions of years and I'm sure they've survived worse in their native habitat than most of us could ever throw at them. Really, they've even been naturalized in the NJ area, meaning that they survive in the wild without human assistance.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There you go dude. seedjar's completely right... Your rVFT if grown outside will be very very happy and will love rain water....so don't even bother thinking about takingit back inside and out....lol! that is sure to cause stress.

So basicaly get the plant, use a nice peat moss + perlite 50/50 mix.....put the plant in gently....don't pack the soil arond the plant......the biggest thing in my opinion is potting it properly.....It should be well potted...but the soil around it should be very loose so that air can go in to the roots.

Basically and thats it.....winters almost over and you can enjoy the VFT till next october.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol! we are mesmorized by the VFT!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks every one! but one last question what do i do for dormancy sice tempertures some tines go to the single digits

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cover it. Single digit temperatures won't kill a VFT, but freezerburn (dehydration) and repeated freezing and thawing might. Cover the plant (with clear plastic) so it doesn't lose too much water to evaporation, and try to keep the pot protected from direct exposure to moving air. It's rapid changes in conditions that you really want to avoid in this situation, so people often bundle their plants together under one tarp so that they share their bodily heat, and then wrap a few tarps around the outside to give the outermost pots a little extra insulation. If you're still concerned, you can pile up some leaf mulch around your pots for even more insulation after covering them (make sure not to leave a bunch of mulch in the water tray, as that will slowly fertilize your plant and VFTs aren't fond of that.) The most drastic technique for this purpose is to dig a hole in the ground and place the pot in the hole (make provisions to allow water to drain out freely so that your plant doesn't get a bunch of nutrients via the soil) and then cover it with a tarp, so that the warmth of the earth keeps the roots from freezing hard. I suppose you could also get yourself an insulated cooler and just stick your pots in that - you could maybe use packing peanuts or foam rubber to fill in the gaps between the pots. Remember, though, that the most important part is to loosely cover the top of the plant to slow air movement, as VFTs take much better to freezing than they do drying out.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if it makes any one happy i decided to grow mine out side

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast