Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Need help with vtf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea when I first started I wanted to grow it in a 10 gallon fish tank inside under some weak lights next to my bed. Then I was told to move it outside after it was about to die. Then I moved the whole tank outside. Then I was told to take it out of the tank. I did all this and it started to grow again real nice. Then a chipmonk got it and then it did die. I'm still looking for that thing to this day.

But you are already moving in the right direction of growing it outside. Trust me though, once you get one they start adding up. I started with one and now I have about 20 VFTs, coulpe sundews and sarrs, a cephalotus, and a bunch of neps. I really kinda like the neps the most. You WILL get hooked!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JMurphy97 View Post
    Yea when I first started I wanted to grow it in a 10 gallon fish tank inside under some weak lights next to my bed. Then I was told to move it outside after it was about to die. Then I moved the whole tank outside. Then I was told to take it out of the tank. I did all this and it started to grow again real nice. Then a chipmonk got it and then it did die. I'm still looking for that thing to this day.
    See that's my biggest fear. I'm afraid that, since I'm gonna leave the VFTs in my patio area, a bird or chipmunk might harass it. Can I just put the vfts in a tray with distilled water then put the 10 gal over it with a little bit of opening for air to circulate? that shouldnt dry the plants too much right?
    Go White Sox!!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -J Hendrix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

Quote Originally Posted by jiana54 View Post
    Can I just put the vfts in a tray with distilled water then put the 10 gal over it with a little bit of opening for air to circulate? that shouldnt dry the plants too much right?
    You can do it if you wan to roast the VFT.

On a sunny day the heat from the sun will get trapped inside the terrarium because of the glass, making temperatures get really high. It’s similar to happens to the inside of your car when you leave it parked under the sun. This will definitely dry out the plant and kill it.

I used to worry about the critters in my backyard picking on my VFT’s… So I made a large cage out of chicken wire and wood planks as Presto suggested. Ever since then, no disturbances and the plants are doing just fine…

Check this out: http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105543
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea even if you have the top of the tank open it will still fry them from the heat. That's why I took it out and planted it into a pot. The thing is it might happen but then it might not. Last year nothing happened to any of my plants. I think that one of the owls around my house got that chipmonk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trust me, you don't want to take your plants outside in a plastic or glass container...no matter how much air-space you give it. I did something similar with my anoles and bearded dragons. It was a nice, sunny 75F day and I figured they'd enjoy a little sunbathing. The tops of their tanks was just a wire mesh, plenty of space for air circulation and heat dissipation...so I thought. I came back out in less than 15 minutes and they were ALL DEAD! I was horrified. They were all "cooked". It was a tough lesson to learn, but trust me (and the others), get them out of their containers.

I also have a bunch of chipmunks, squirrels, and birds around my place. They very seldom bother my plants. I once did catch a squirrel drinking from one of my neps, but it was fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mean the pitcher or the squirrel? I wonder if the squirrel got sick for the plants water, though I highly dought that it would happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meant the nep was fine. Not sure of the squirrel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also how and how often do i have to repot

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast