Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help with vtf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Need help with vtf

Im about to order the dente vtf but have read so many things about taking care of them can any one help me??

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use a soil mix of 50/50 peat/perlite. Set in a tray of distilled or rain water. Full sun is best, so if you can grow it outside you should. Other than that, keep the tray of water with a little bit of water in it at all times.

xvart.

edit: check this stickied thread.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what about growing it inside which i plan o n doing what do i do for lighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

You really should grow it outside in full sun if you can. Where do you live?
    -Joel from Southern California

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VFTs live in relatively open fields where the most of the shade they get is from a little grass. They really aren't appropriate plants for indoor culture; not only is it extremely hard to provide the amount of light they need without cooking them temperature-wise, it's also absolutely necessary that they have cold winters. I don't mean cold as in 'turn the thermostat up or put on another T-shirt.' I mean cold like highs in the 60s and lows in the 20s, for the entire winter. Really, you'll have a much better time with your plant if you try it outside. Start by growing it the way it likes - once you know how to do things the easy way, then you can get to experimenting with unfavorable conditions and such.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As from my experience of growing VFTs in terrarium ... IF YOU CAN GROW THEM OUTSIDE....if you live in an area like the carolinas.....i.e., not canada ..then it would be like a SIN to NOT grow the VFT outside...you will be immediately rewarded with a VFT that will flourish. If you are still hellbent (Like I "need" to be) to grow them inside...then get ready to do a lot of looking around to get nice lighting. This is the worst part of the CP hobby...getting the lights. You are looking for the lights which rate 6500 K or daylight and full spectrum. Get atleast like a 23 watt bulb (CFL) if you need it for just one plant.....put the bulb in a lamp that is just 4-5 inches above the plant...then use a timer to keep it on for 16 hrs a day....water with rain or distilled or RO water and WAIT.....WAIT for atleast 3 months to see the VFT look like its recovering and starting to grow into a nice rosette.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You seem to like calling them VTFs, not VFTs, even in your username!!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand why people always want to grow their VTF's inside. Why do they always want to be so close to the VTF? Is it because the VTF has some magical power they are attracted to? Or are they just over anthropomorphizing the VTF?

When will people learn that the Venus Trap Fly should be grown outside if at all possible?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast