Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: jst another noob question

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hand feed one or two traps a month if you wish, or any time you happen to catch a bug running around the house.

You should do it at least once in your lifetime just so you can watch the process from the beginning.

What many people do with strong or fast insects like bees, wasps or crickets is put them in a container and then into the freezer for a few minutes - long enough to slow the insect down but not kill it. Then with some tweezers feed the insect into a trap. The leaf should close tight enough that the insect cannot escape. As the insect warms up it will struggle more and signal the trap to close tighter.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awesome i just want to see the bug get traped the i can just watch it strugle for hours or till it dies

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The insect should be small enough to fit completely into the trap. Any thing bigger you risk the change it might escape or more likely start growing fungus or mold which probably isn't good for the leaf and the plant.

Once the trap seals (2nd phase) there isn't much to see. Before that you can kind of peek in between the cilia (teeth/fingers). A strong magnifying glass is recommended. After it seals you can take a small pen light and light the leaf from behind and you can make out the shadow of the insect (unless it's a fairly light or translucent insect).

Do not try to pry or pull open the trap as you will tear or otherwise damage it.

Remember this is a living organism and one of the true miracles of nature. Treat it as such and not a pet to perform tricks for you and it may live for decades to give you enjoyment for having it.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    k so it can eat a bee though?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the bee is not too big for the trap it can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    omg thats awesome if my traps get big enough ill get a liitle revange on bees lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you really want revenge on the bees I can help you with that. My N. Ventrata fills up with them in a couple days. PM me if you want some.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol maybe some day i will but first i gotta make sure i can grow vft

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast