User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it ok to grow a VFT with other plants?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Zig

Im from the area too!! Northern suburbs actually.

CPs never have to be fertilized - the fertilizer would kill it.

If you think its too risky to put the plants because of the animals in the area, dont worry about it. You can make a little chicken wire cage/fence/box....

Now, if you're worried about the gusty wind (like the icky gustiness from two days ago), you can keep the plants inside for the meantime or put something to hold them down.
    Go White Sox!!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -J Hendrix

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mean to contradict you (well yes I do but not in a disrespectful way ) Yes it is true that they don't NEED fertilizer, but you can safely foliar feed (and even root feed) once you get some experience under your belt. Fertilizing is very beneficial for most things, especially with Nepenthes. I fertilize everything. Yes, Everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh my bad.
    Go White Sox!!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -J Hendrix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joossa View Post
    Why do you think it could be risky?
    Chicago's weather is very unpredictable and can vary a lot: wind, temperature, rain, sunlight, etc. That is my main concern.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

So let’s see here… Rain, sunlight, temperature should not be an issue. It’s almost spring, and if it rains your plant will enjoy the shower, and if it rains too much just empty their water tray and let them dry a bit till the next watering. VFT’s can handle temps up to 100F and temps down into the 20’s when dormant. As for sunlight… well VFT’s are sun lovers so…

The wind could be a problem, but it is easily handled. I live in a windy area, and sometimes the wind dries out my VFT’s growing medium (just the top). The wind gusts are sometimes powerful, so I just make sure that the pots are secure and won’t get moved by the wind. On windy days I just keep an extra eye on them and water them when they start drying out.

As for the unpredictable factor, well that’s why you have the weather channel and local forecasts on various news broadcasts. If you see something bad coming up, just put them inside until it passes… easy!

Try growing them outside, they’ll love it!

Good luck!
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!

I'm pretty new, so I am still trying to figure things out. What is all this stuff about a water tray.

From what I understand, you get a big plastic container. Fill it with the right soil and plant your VFTs. Then water them. With the water tray the water will sit, and keep the soil very moist, which VFTs like.

Can you have a water tray inside?
    How far do you submerge the tray in the soil?
    Do you just keep little pots in the big water tray?

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A water tray is nothing more than a dish of water that the pot sits in. It can be made of anything really (one of my personal favorites is the bottom of a 2 liter plastic soda bottle). They have a rigidity and weather resistance that I like.

Yes you can certainly keep water trays indoors.

How deep you fill the tray is partly dependant on how fast the water evaporates and is consumed by the plants. An indoor grown VFT is not as likely to go through copious ammounts of water in a short time so it would 'probably' be best not to fill it too deep. My plants (which are all grown outdoors) go through water very quickly so I tend to fill my trays a little deeper than most people.

You can stuff as many pots into the tray as will fit. Many growers with larger collections use large trays with many many pots in them.

Good luck,
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe Ziggy has a "classic" terrarium, with a layer of soil and mosses on the bottom of the tank and the plants are planted into this. Thus the tray method would not work. You could consider it a mini-bog though.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast