User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it ok to grow a VFT with other plants?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you just plant a VFT in the soil. No tray. Just let nature take over?

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK are we still talking about planting in the terrarium? I was under the impression that it had been decided that outdoors is the best place to grow the VFT.

If you are talking about planting the VFT directly into the same media as the African Violet and other plants mentioned, then no I would STRONGLY advise against it. Av's do NOT like to be kept wet. VFTs prefer an acidic media which I dont know if the violet would appreciate, and then of course, come fall, there is the dormancy issue.

Can you just plant a VFT in the soil. No tray. Just let nature take over?
    Yes, and no. VFTs can be directly planted into bogs and terraria, but you would need to use a CP friendly media such as Sphagnum peat, with sand, pummice, perlite ect ect (everyone has their favorite "recipe" you will have to do some trials and find what suits you best). You can't just plunk em in the tomato garden and expect them to grow.. it just doesn't work that way, sorry.

Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on the nature of the soil. VFTs evolved to live in boggy conditions - wet slightly acidic soil with very little nutrients in it (water circulation washes the nutrients away).

Few other plants live in these conditions - usually other CPs.

If you approximate those conditions then nature will take it's course.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a pictoral example:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand why everybody hates the idea of growing a VFT in a terrarium. I grow mine with a sarr, 2 sundews, 3 nepenthes, and one potato. And yes, the potato is thriving in a roughly 50:50 perlite/peat mix and is growing practically half an inch a day.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because they tend to do better outside. The sun is better than any light you can put over a terrarium and Dionaea are sun worshipers. And terraria tend to have less than ideal air movement. Unless you have a pink fan blowing across the water like me

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its not that anyone necessarily "hates" the idea. There are quite a few people who grow exquisite plants indoors. Its just far easier to grow them outside.

Often, as the case here, the person wishing to start a VFT in a terrarium is a relative newcommer to the hobby who does not have the right equipment and/or experience to grow indoors with a reasonable ammount of success. In cases like this it is usually best that we advise learning how to grow a VFT outdoors first. After you learn what to expect from your plants you can begin to experiment with other growing environments.

Abcat: Do you have pictures of your setup that you can share? It is always nice to see well grown VFTs, indoors or out.

Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abcat1993 View Post
    I don't understand why everybody hates the idea of growing a VFT in a terrarium. I grow mine with a sarr, 2 sundews, 3 nepenthes, and one potato. And yes, the potato is thriving in a roughly 50:50 perlite/peat mix and is growing practically half an inch a day.
    How much light do you have?
    • What kind of light?
    • How long do you keep it on for?
    • etc.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast