Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do? No new traps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question What to do? No new traps

Back in January I bought an new baby VFT from a store at a botanical garden. It looked healthy, and I have treated it the same as I treat my other flytraps when they are not in dormancy. I have given it as much light as possible. It produced one new trap within a few weeks, but since then it has not grown any more. The older traps are slowly dying off one by one, and there are only 4 left. Is there anything I can do to get it to grow, or is it slowly going to die on me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mabe the soil is fertile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've wondered that. It looks like the kind of soil I'd plant tomatoes in. But what can I do about it? Is it safe to change the soil at this point?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    once u can see a tap how long till it fully forms?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the current growing conditions? How many hours of light per day is it getting? How much air circulation?

Most likely it is planted in pure peat moss, not the ideal media for beginners as it retains water quite well and can lead to bulb/root rot if kept overly damp. Dormant plants need less water.

What to do?

1) nothing - continue on as before - maybe it's just dormant.
    2) water less, more light: move outdoors if possible - maybe it's just dormant
    3) repot - inspect the corm/bulb/rhizome - it should be firm, pale green-whiteish with thick black roots - if it's blackish/brownish and mushy the plant is not well and the prognosis is not good - maybe even dead. If it's healthy then maybe it's just dormant.
    4) 3 & 2 together - which is probably what I'd do.
    5) Dig up the corm, pull it apart and hope one or more of the pullings grows a plantlet. Normally you want to take pullings from a healthy plant otherwise you typically end up with a lot of dead pullings. Desperation time, but you could end up with several plants.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its not peat as he just said. If your other VTFs are doing good and have enough room plant it with one of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    I've wondered that. It looks like the kind of soil I'd plant tomatoes in. But what can I do about it? Is it safe to change the soil at this point?
    I would definitely repot. You never know what a CP is growing in when you buy one from a big name store or a nursery that doesn’t usually sell CP’s.

Like NotANumber indirectly suggested, PLEASE give us more details regarding its growing conditions… If it is not the soil, then it will be hard to point out the issue without further info.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I've been keeping it in a sun room on a table next to a south-facing window. I can't say for sure how many hours of sunlight it gets right now...early in the day and near sunset the sun is too low for the plant itself to get any light, because it is set low in the pot. The weather has also been quite cloudy lately. I keep it watered at all times and the soil has not dried out, but it is not sitting in water like I generally keep my VFTs. The average air temperature is 73 degrees.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast