What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT advice and tips

i would...buti have no camera and a crapy trac phone w/ no camera on it :-(

borrow one then. if you have a scanner cut one of the traps off, scan it along with a ruler for size.
Alex

Why would he hurt his plants to do that?

excatly...besides, they're all dormant right now...so unless u want a dried up dead leaf...

your not gonna kill the plant by taking off a leaf..... and yea. dead leaf is fine. a dead leaf is the same size(for the most part) as a live leaf. my dead leaves never shrank. i have to also agree with....whoever said it (too lazy to look back). i always thought it was electrical signals that made the cells super expand. even if it was water. you would have to pester it 100s of times to get a significant result. it just wouldnt be efficient. i wouldnt want to sit next to my VFT the whole day and flick the trap every 30 seconds...then when the day is done you finished one trap. YAY!....its not practical.
Alex

This page on the Botanical Society of America on Dionaea muscipula covers some of the current theories and research on the trap closing mechanism. The whole section on CPs is worth exploring because there are some amazing photographs on the site.

What did I tell you guys?? Instant cell growth--explained!! Thanks, Arthur!!!

To get my VFT leaves to turn red I whisper nasty things to it.

Tom

To get my VFT leaves to turn red I whisper nasty things to it.

Tom

Ladies and Gentlemen, I beleive this thread has now been won :jester:

well, i only heard the water theory, and i noticed that when i touch a hair once everyday in one trap...that paticular trap becomes larger than all the rest, even when the trap started off at normal size. idk y it would happen with the eletrical theory, but it does make sence with the water theory...try it for yourself this summer...it worked for me

BTW...a toothpick workes best with this

Try a little experiment: do they toothpick trick on only half of the leaves. Using the same set of leaves each time. See if those grow bigger then the untreated ones. We'd be interested in the results so get yourself a digital camera.

I haven't the time nor the patience to try this myself.

Originally Posted by CP_dude
well, i only heard the water theory, and i noticed that when i touch a hair once everyday in one trap...that paticular trap becomes larger than all the rest, even when the trap started off at normal size. idk y it would happen with the eletrical theory, but it does make sence with the water theory...try it for yourself this summer...it worked for me

BTW...a toothpick workes best with this

Try a little experiment: do they toothpick trick on only half of the leaves. Using the same set of leaves each time. See if those grow bigger then the untreated ones. We'd be interested in the results so get yourself a digital camera.

I haven't the time nor the patience to try this myself.

I don't get the point of bothering with this at all.. Its not going to make the plant produce larger traps, only make the existing trap slightly bigger. I would rather just let my plants catch bugs and make the entire plant larger.

If it did work at all I guess it would be good if you wanted to enter it in a show or something. Talk about obsessive though. Lol, reminds me of those penile exercises they send you E-mails about.

"Improve your trap size in just 3 pokes a day!"

I don't get the point of bothering with this at all.. Its not going to make the plant produce larger traps, only make the existing trap slightly bigger. I would rather just let my plants catch bugs and make the entire plant larger.

It may not even do that. Only one way to find out for sure.

Sounds like the same thing I read in a book: “Touch only one of the trigger hairs inside the trap with a toothpick. Touch it once and walk away. When you do this, the cells lining the inside of the trap will swell up a tiny bit… do this once a day for 7-10 days and your traps will be noticeably larger” JLAP - The book indicated they did this “for their personal collection.. for display plants”.

It does work. Joe Mazrimas tried it with his plants years ago with some nice results, but I prefer to just let nature take its course with my VFT's.

You mean they didn't enter them in contests for size?

Oh wait we are talking about VENUS fly traps. My bad :-))

:-D Nope, no contest.

Cool! If there's a plant show maybe I'll twiddle my B52s. I won't go blind will I?

Back