What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great way to grow VFTs

I propbably only post 1 message a year on this topic: how I grow VFTs.

They grow in decent sized pots, approximately 6" in diameter. From February through July, the plants are brought indoors and grown in either my terrarium or grow rack. Humidity doesn't matter that I noticed, but strong light is required. They grow very fast, after a good winter's sleep. No aclimation is required from the cold to a warm house.

In August or there abouts, I bring the pots outside. Temps in western Washington range average 80 for a high and 55 for a low. Again, no aclimation is required. I use the tray method. They catch late summer bugs and get used to cooler nights as fall approaches.

I bury the pots up to the rim in a garden patch in October to insulate them better. They stay moist in our climate, and have survived temps down to 10 F or there abouts. The larger 6" pots insulate them better and hold moisture during dry spells. I have yet to lose a single plant with this method.

Here's a photo taken the other day, a few weeks after it was brought indoors.

vftmarch07.jpg

Homer

Good job as usual, Homer! VERY nice!!!

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing your tips and info. :)

Do you find that they do better growing inside from February to July than they would outside? In other words why do you grow them inside during these months?

Thank you. The weather here during Spring is not great for growing VFT's outdoors, as temps are usually between 50-70F, not a lot of sun, and low temps in the 40's are common. Our summers are nice, but ONLY after the 4th of July!

-Homer

spectacular. Your plants show your expertise. :D

I propbably only post 1 message a year on this topic: how I grow VFTs.

They grow in decent sized pots, approximately 6" in diameter.

Excellent job!

Tom

Back