Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can you over water VFTs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

Ziggy-
    When I grew mine in a “fish bowl” terrarium last year, I kept a 2-2.5in layer of pure perlite at the bottom. This was mainly to hold the excess water at the bottom and to not allow it to become standing water that was in contact with the peat/perlite mix. When watering, I misted every couple days and I would dump water on the side of the terrarium when the peat seemed dry, even after misting. This watering method was what worked for me. Eventually though, I dumped my “I-want-to-grow-my VFTs-in-a-terrarium” stubbornness (with a little help from Steve and Scott) and grew them outside.

There is a member that I know of that has done a great job at growing his CP’s in a terrarium. His member name is vraev. Try contacting him or searching for his past posts so you can see his setup and progress.

Once again, good luck.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vft guy in SJ View Post
    Nobody says you can't share your opinions or experience, far from it. But hey, lets face it.. you came here out of the blue and declared yourself a "VFT Expert" and told everyone that you would teach the absolute best way to grow VFTs. Many people, like Bugweed who has been studying and growing these plants about 3x as long as you have been alive, are offended by that.

Now, you have already started off on the wrong foot here. You can either A) Continue to fight against the grain, B) Realize the mistake, and work to earn back the respect you have lost, or C) Decide that this forum sucks, bash us, and quit.

The choice is up to you.

Steve
    I think this is going a little too far in the wrong direction...

Common guys you are offended by a new comer who claims to be an expert? Where's your modesty where's your humbleness?! This isn't a competition or anything... it's about our passion for growing CPs. CP_dude obviously loves growing VFT's and is stoked about them. I think he made it clear it was wrong for him to be so arrogant, so why keep slapping him with a measuring stick?
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow mine in at least 2inches of water in the growing season. In the winter I let them get drier to prevent the bulbs rotting.

Proof is in the pictures, heres what they looked like last summer.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I might pop my experience with VFT's in here too...Mine grow in a terrarium without any drianage as a MINI bog that is at any time definately soaked in water since I have to water my moss daily...and the VFTs' don't seem to mind it.

Remember that EVERYONE GETS THEIR OWN TECHNIQUE ziggy. Once you learn...u will have your own way.....dry, wet or damp...its not a hard fast rule.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine are in a trays with about an inch of water. I seems most people use that (tray) method.

Tom
    (my VFTs survived the winter in the fridge!)
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have to say I goaded CP Dude. I gave him every adverse, opposite opinion I could, and yet he stuck it out. THAT says a lot about his character, and his internal strength, which impressed me to say the least. I have been in contact with him, and we have exchanged PM's in a much friendlier fashion. I made my points, and he told me his, and we are now on the same page. I like CP Dude and think he would be an asset to this forums, and is tough as nails to get him to back down to negative feedback. Good character, and good internal strength. Great qualities in my book. He can help many with his ideas for his particular area, and I hope he dives in, and stays with us. He may not have realized how pompous he sounded when he first came on, but give him a break, and let him share his ideas. They are valid, after all.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the rule may actually be that VFTs can take as much water as can be thrown at them, until it begins to interfere with their respiration. I grow my plants outdoors year-round with fairly cold winters, and I've clearly observed plants of the same clone succeeding with low water levels and failing with high ones. This isn't a problem during the warm season, only at times when light levels and temperatures are low. I know lots of growers in southern climates succeed with bogs and waterlogged plantings, but via the forums here I've observed that this technique doesn't seem to work as well for growers with cold winters.
    I think that plants grown in warmer climates retain a higher metabolic function than those that go into cold dormancy, and as such they can still extract the necessary amounts of carbon dioxide and oxygen for their roots and rhizome, even in waterlogged conditions. In colder, wetter regions, plants can become so waterlogged that the water level rises above the soil line and water/air circulation within the soil is minimized. Low temperatures inhibit the plants' ability to respirate and metabolize. I grow my VFTs in very shallow trays during the winter, and even when it rains for weeks and they're soaking wet, they're still OK - only when the water level comes up to the bulk of the root mass do I see problems.
    Other growers succeed with more waterlogged conditions, but in nearly all accounts of this phenomenon there seem to be warmer temperatures, decreased rainfall, or a circulating water source. But that's just my observation.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On an interesting sidenote, should your VFTs become afflicted with Aphids (Heaven Forbid!) a good treatment is to submerge the entire plant in water for about 24-48 hours in order to drown the buggers. I've heard this will have no averse affects on the plant, though in the interests of full disclosure I've yet to try it myself.
    The Best Part About Being a Sociopath is Never Having to Say You're Sorry.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast