Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What food is best for VFTs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I live in an apartment, I don't really have the option to keep my plants outside. Despite what people say about CPs grown indoors, mine don't really catch a lot of food on their own because there really isn't much to catch. (Except for the sundews, who periodically get to gorge themselves on roommate-generated fruit flies.)
    I used to keep a jars in my bag to catch flies with to feed to my VFTs. However, the last time I was in Black Jungle, I bought a little tupperware of pheonix worms. The plants seem to like them, and I like not having to chase flies around while at work. One interesting thing about them is that since there's no hard exoskeleton, when the trap reopens there isn't much left of the grub.

Link:
    http://www.***********.com/Merchant2...Category_Code=
    Slave to vegetable hunger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aren't those just waxworms? And why exactly is skim milk good for them and only in really small amounts?

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just remember you can't feed a VFT dead bugs. While the trap will close, it won't seal without the "struggling" of a live bug. Otherwise the traps would seal and try to digest various stuff that might accidently land in a trap like a piece of bark or small leaf that blows in.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugweed View Post
    VFT's are partial to Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburgers, Curly fries, and a HUGE Chocolate Milkshake. Give them that, and they are done for the rest of the year. Maybe, for the rest of VFT eternity!
    .... and Barry Rice's moldy feet!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL. So true.

Well, usually the Dionaea trap died when I fed them parts of fat wax worms. In fact, they always did. I fed one 5 maggots, it didn't open for 2 or 3 weeks, but it did. I also fed my Big Mouth this disgusting thing that looked like the crawler or some zombie coming out of my D. spatulata soil that was an inch long. Bon appetite! The Dionaea opened in about 4 or 5 days, a record time! The thing wasn't really fat, but it had a lot of longness so it should have been an adequate meal. It's still plastered as skin on the side of the trap.

Just as a key of advice: If you buy something for your Venus Flytrap, or get something, that kills the trap the first two times, then I'd just look for something new altogether. I doubt I'll be able to find another crawler zombie bug but it worked out fine. The trap didn't even rot when it's legs were sticking out, even if they are bone thin.
    - NeciFiX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's funny, but I never seem to have problems feeding dead things ( I guess my fingers are to big ), my VFT's seem to notice the difference (although I still would rather use live prey). I like using earwigs or small bits of earthworm. This is the only time of year I feed my plants, just to give them a little breakfast boost .
    'Celebrate the birth of our nation by blowing a little piece of it up'.The Simpsons.
    My grow list ~http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107403

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why, but it seems like ladybugs usually end up slowly killing the trap... even though they seem small enough and the traps appears to seal up well

I dunno

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be that yellow panic-fluid they exude. That stuff is NASTY.
    The Best Part About Being a Sociopath is Never Having to Say You're Sorry.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast