Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lowe’s VFT bounus?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse Lowe’s VFT bounus?

After getting an ID for an Aloe plant (variegata- thanks Clint…) that caught my eye in the Cactus and other Succulents forum, I decided to go to Lowe’s to see if they had any. They didn’t, but I ended up buying two Aloe zanzibarica.

Anyway on my way from the outdoor area to the register inside, I stopped at the “indoor plant” area. After a little searching, I found a tray that had a couple CPs (mainly Neps and VFTs). All the VFTs were flowering and looked in really bad condition (as expected…), but then I saw one that was really green, so I took a closer look. It seems that there was more than one plant growing in the pot. The pot was full of traps.

To make a long story short, I rescued it and an hour later I began to transplant them to a bigger pot. There were FOUR individual rhizomes in the pot, each one making numerous healthy traps. What a bonus! All the ones I have bought and seen at HomeDepot, Osh, Wal-Mart, etc. only had 1 plant. Has this happened to anyone else? Is this type of occurrence more common than I think it is?
    -Joel from Southern California

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I've maxed at out 6 total plants, 3 adults total. It's a byproduct of TC hormones.

Hormones are fun. I take hormones... or maybe it's steroids? I should put some Synthroid into a Nepenthes pitcher and see if it grows a thyroid.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once in a while I see the ones from Nursery Man's Exchange / Bloomrite with at least 4 small plants in them. I passed on them looking for more mature plants in them but after seeing photos here of pot'o VFTs I've decided that I'll pick up a couple of them when I run across them. Those little plants may even still be in the 'vigorous growth' phase that TC plants go through for a period after being deflasked and hardened off.

Why these pots happen is anybody's guess. Mine is that they probably ran out of more mature plants to fill an order/flat so they just grabbed some youngsters to fill it out.

Any way it is quite a bargain. Enjoy.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Hort. School dropout X 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I got a pot with 16 Vft's((SCORE))) in it from OSH(Orchard Supply Hardware) it was originally from nurserymen's exchange. At least 12 of them have made it through their first winter.
    Lois
    Every seed that you plant ,doesn't sprout.
    Every seed that sprouts, doesn't make it to maturity.
    Every cutting that you stick doesn't grow roots.
    Every cutting that roots doesn't grow to a small plant.
    Every small plant doesn't reach maturity.

Who needs speelcheck?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    today i stopped by lowes and bought a ping that looked kinda weird. when i opened the little box it came in and looked closely, the large parent plant was in awful shape, but all the leaves that had wilted had tiny plantlets growing all over them. after all was said and done, i had repotted them all and counted about 14 separate plantlets.

they'll wonder how many will survive...
    if i were ruler of the world, anyone who defined a nepenthene as a "companion plant" to orchids would be fired from a cannon atop mt. kinabalu.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    woah! 14,, 16.....damn! I saw ONE in each of the lowes cubes in buffalo NY like 4 months ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My testemony is here:

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107332

But my record was with the last I reppoted this weekend, a single pot of Sarracenia catesbaei, got 24 plants in the end

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked this up from Home Depot a few weeks ago. Altman Plants label. I can't wait to repot this to start my "Pot 'o Flytraps".

Any guesses as to how many rhizomes are in the pot?

I love the label "7 fl oz/213ml VENUS FLY TRAP"

Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast