User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oh, carp! looks like teeny's trying to flower!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh, carp! looks like teeny's trying to flower!

hey. i just wanted to share with you guys a pic of my flytrap that i feared was doomed or at least at a disadvantage. it is the one on the to in the pic. the other i accidentally got at Lowes when we went to get something else.

i should probably not let that teeny little plant use it's energy to flower, huh. where/how should i clip it?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clip it as close to the base that you can get at without cutting any of the leaves - say .25 - .5 inch up from the medium. Use sharp scissors, razor blade, Xacto knife, or katana.

How do you accidentally get a VFT from Lowes? Did it just happen to fall into the shopping cart and got rung up and paid for without you noticing?
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they sometimes come with other plants. Or maybe you buy one and get two like I did. I heard somewhere that you are supposed to wait until they are a few inches high before you cut them. Why? I cut mine when it was about an inch high. Is that bad?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well it already is a few inches high so i guess i better get to clippin.

how did i miss that? it's been raining lately and i guess i haven't been keeping that close an eye on my little plants.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol! I cut my dentate flower stalk when it was like less than a inch. I actually didn't notice any growth spurt. However the plant has coloured up well compared to the winter.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people clip 'em as soon as it's long enough to do so safely. Some people let 'em grow a bit. When I said .25-.50 inch up from the medium, I meant the cut should be as close to the plant as is safe, not the length of the stalk (in answer to "where"). My bad.

Take a peek at this post about flower stalks and my 'Cupped Trap'.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it an indoor outdoor plant?

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually didn't notice any growth spurt.
    Cutting a flower stalk doesn't give a VFT a growth spurt. For all plants, making flowers/seed expends "energy." That's why its recommended to deadhead flowers like petunias and impatiens so their growth can be put into making more flowers rather than seed. With a VFT, cutting the flower stalk just stops the seed process. It isn't going to make a lot of difference either way. If you like the flowers, let them grow. If not, cut the stalk.

It doesn't matter where you cut it. If you don't cut it, you will just get some nice white flowers. Its not really a big deal. Always refer back to nature. No one is out there cutting flower stalks off the wild ones and they stay perfectly healthy.

Personally I do cut the stalks...right down at the base. I cut any flower stalk on any plant that is not going to produce seed unless it makes pretty flowers.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast