Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long does it take...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long does it take...

To flower? It's been "about to flower" for about 2 months now. I'll get a picture later, but it's getting darker (the biggest flower), and all the little buds are still green, some black.

And my D. Spatulata has a flower too that isn't really flowering, just "about to flower". Except this one has only been like that for a month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Partial bump and here is the sundew:

And VFT (I'll get a better, newer picture tomorrow):

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

I don’t know what you mean by “about to flower”… Is your VFT relatively new? If you got it from a store like Lowe’s, Wal-Mart, ect., then it is probably fresh out of tissue culture. If this is true I would cut off the flower stalk. Producing flowers seems to drain a lot of energy from a VFT. When a Dionaea is young and waiting to be purchased in the store, they get stressed from the poor conditions, so they flower as a last attempt to pass on their genes before dying. Basically, a stressed out VFT will flower for the above reason in a short period of time.

I hope this helps… Please ask a more detailed question if this wasn’t what you were looking for.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long does it normally take your VFT to flower is what I meant basically. And by "about to flower" I meant it looks like it's about to flower (although the sundew doesn't look like any flower I've seen so I was just guessing).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is from today:

I'm guessing that one on top is dead and all the little black ones, but are the green ones going to flower? COULD they flower?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

They could flower, but the entire thing looks weak to me. Personally, I don’t let my Dionaea flower, so I don’t know how long it should take for the flowers to form and bloom. Here is a picture of what healthy flower buds should look like, courtesy BobZ’s site:
    http://pageperso.aol.fr/Masterichou/...mensionner.JPG
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the "about to" part is well over. From the looks of your picture, several flowers that were initiated have aborted on thier own. (The little shriveled up dark parts you already mentioned) I'm guessing that you've got it under lights inside ? Most likely the reason is not enough light and heat for proper flowering. Your best bet would be to chop the flower stem and hope for another one this summer while it's outside chewing up the local bugs.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It already had its other one (does it have more than 2?), so that won't happen. Will it really save energy though if I chop it off now, I mean, it is photosynthesizing right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast