Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: VFT's Suck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VFT's Suck!

So it was a windy day today so I put the plastic cover to protect from the wind. About 20 minutes later I find out that the wind knocked my stand over. So as I'm picking them up they fall out of the pots and all that. I needed to re-pot them anyways. I had this nice big pot I was gonna make a mini bog out of. Well they were all brown and mushy. They were dead anyways. This makes me mad. Why is it that everyone says these are so easy and neps are the divas when My neps are alive all year and I can never get a vft through the winter? I think the real divas are vft's. I can grow them from seeds but I can't keep them alive over the winter. Can't have it too cold or too hot in the winter. Can't be too wet but then you can't let them dry out in the winter. And for what? A couple months to veiw and enjoy them? Nope. Tropicals it is for me. Year round. I want to look at them, I look. There they are. Not just neps. Tropical sundews, ceph's whatever grows year round is what I'm going to keep. I had some cool ones too. But out of all them I had I really do think that my dente and red piranha lived. I think the red dragon died. I dunno. Tomarrow I will check. Some of the sarrs are alive too still I think. But I think that from now on, if they need a dormancy I don't want them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    :P. This was an interesting post to read.

I've never had a VFT Dormancy yet, I bought all my plants at the beginning of February, or started buying at least, so, dormancy was almost over anyways. VFT's seem to come easy so far... but this dormancy thing you say is kinda scary.

Neps are awesome though. I'm more of a Pitcher Plant guy myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They do rot easy.

- Jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yea and let me add this. Putting your VFT's outside in the summer is always an adventure too with them chipmonks and all. Neps at least you can hang them. Yea they are easy to get the typical ones at least. But what about red piranha's? Yea I can get one right now but for how much?

Even after this I know as well everyone else here knows I will get more and try again. I just had to rant about it. I thought putting them in the attic would work. Now it's time to think where I went wrong. Maybe I brought them out of the attic too early? But it looked like there was mold growing. I used a fungicide. I dunno. I might just move next to good old Bugweed. Can you grow neps year round outside in his area?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

Some people find them easy, some don’t. Find what works for you, even if it means experimenting with different ways to solve a problem. Don’t let a plant beat you… remember, you’re the one in control.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Milwaukee eh?

I live in Wisconsin too, except, on the central WI/MN border.

I do like to rant a lot too. It is fun.

I just hope I don't have any wild critter problems. We got squirrels but they keep to themselves and off our deck. We get deer, but not very often. No cats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only ever succeeded in overwintering a VFT once. That was just because I stuck it in the fridge.. and the following year its growth was TERRIBLE. Tiny traps and compact leaves... sucked.. Not really sure HOW I'm gonna do it. Unless I build a cold frame. :/
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

Come on people... it can’t be THAT difficult, can it? LOL I tortured my first two typicals indoors with practically no lighting last year (starting in April) to the verge of death. By the time October came along their traps were tiny (I’m talking millimeters!). I took them out and put them through dormancy outside, and now they seem to be recovering quite nicely ouside. I wish I had a digital camera to show you guys.

I guess climate strongly affects our growing outcomes…
    -Joel from Southern California

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast