What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I do something to prevent aphids?

joossa

Aklys
I went out to the backyard this morning and noticed that aphids have rudely settled in, mainly on the rose bushes (without paying rent either!). They are hanging out on the newly formed rose buds, sucking and drinking to their health.
There are a couple small rose bushes near my growing area, but luckily the CP’s seem to be aphid-free.

Do you guys think I should go out and get some Ortho to prevent an aphid attack on my VFT’s or should I just wait and see if they actually attack first? Also, if you think I should act now, should I use Orthene or some of these suggested aphid killers? How should I use the product?

On an old post Travis stated:
I had Aphids not to long ago on my pitcher plant. I used ORTHO Orthene. Two Tablespoons per gallon and then I would spray the plant about 3 times a day.

For the grubs they sound like maggets. I would use the same stuff as I did for the aphids. But I am not as sure as I have not had that problem before with grubs.

Hope that helps,
Trav
What do you think?

Many thanks.

Buy a container of ladybugs from Home Depot or whereever. Sarr's really suck up ladybugs but you shouldn't have many pitchers yet so early in the season.

I read about an old recipe for aphids. I use it on my flytraps with no ill effects ( 2 seasons). 1 tablespoon of coffee, 1 tablespoon of hand soap (like Ajax or Palmolive) ,and a full shot from a bottle of mouthwash. These go into a small mister bottle like a hairstylist uses, and the rest is water. Shake it up, and you have something that kills on contact (even ants) and is safe.

Interesting as several of the CP cultivation books say not to use soap based pesticides - even homemade ones - on CPs.

You could probably just spray 50% rubbing alcohol and get the same effect.

once upon a time I tried various neem oil products, their effect on the aphids was so-so, providing only temporary relief, it was a constant battle just to keep up (outdoor mini bog)

but with the repeated use it definitely had a negative effect on my plants, not drastic but still obvious

now i use a systemic insecticide and the effects are dramatic and long lasting (over a month with one application)

my mini bog has VFT's, Sarracenias and Dews... none of which seem to mind whatsoever, oh yeah and it doesn't seem to bother the mosses I have in my mini bog

The product I use is "Bayer advanced rose and flower" in the spray bottle... (wal-mart)

Ive not tried the ortho products.... so I cant compare, probably just as effective and maybe more so, but I see no reason to change, the Bayer works great...

of course your mileage may vary ;)

Av

I agree with Av8tor1. If you're going to keep it outside, a systemic insecticide is like the adage, "an ounce of prevention is a pound of cure".

I have used Orthene on my VFTs, Sarracenia, and Drosera for years with great results. However, I would wait until you see a problem before spraying your plants.

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully the aphids will keep their distance.

I'd wait, but I'd be prepared... they sure do love VFT's, at least they love mine... sheesh
Watch for the first signs of deformed new growth

Av

Yes. These Aphids are PESTS.

I do not think I have Aphids, but I have white flies, thrips, SOMETHING. In any case, I got a big thing of this sprinkle on the soil and water it in stuff for less than 5$ with shipping and it was a big case.

YES. It is easier to prevent them than to treat them. I know this first hand.

Aphids are horrable little suckers (pun intended) that weakened my VFT's so bad they never maid it through the winter. So now i'm using Orthene to prevent the onslaught.

What insecticide would be good for all carnivorous plants? And would it treat everything or only one thing like aphids. Cause IDK what but I think my S. purperea (whatever...the purple pitcher plant lol) is being attacked.

If you can't see anything (by pictures) then it might be a cultivation error that it is in bad shape.

You just have to look, I bought something for 4.50, a sprinkle thing, a TON of it, that killed off all the whiteflies/thrips on my plants.

I have used Orthene on my VFTs, Sarracenia, and Drosera for years with great results. However, I would wait until you see a problem before spraying your plants.

Going to agree with BobZ on this one.. I would also wait until the problem was at hand before spraying.

An update:
I lucked out. It seems the ladybug season started a bit early this year. I usually begin to see larvae in late spring and the actual ladybugs throughout the summer. A week after the initial post, they started to show up. They completely eliminated the problem… not an aphid in sight anymore.

Back