User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I do something to prevent aphids?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse Should I do something to prevent aphids?

I went out to the backyard this morning and noticed that aphids have rudely settled in, mainly on the rose bushes (without paying rent either!). They are hanging out on the newly formed rose buds, sucking and drinking to their health.
    There are a couple small rose bushes near my growing area, but luckily the CPs seem to be aphid-free.

Do you guys think I should go out and get some Ortho to prevent an aphid attack on my VFTs or should I just wait and see if they actually attack first? Also, if you think I should act now, should I use Orthene or some of these suggested aphid killers? How should I use the product?

On an old post Travis stated:
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    I had Aphids not to long ago on my pitcher plant. I used ORTHO Orthene. Two Tablespoons per gallon and then I would spray the plant about 3 times a day.

For the grubs they sound like maggets. I would use the same stuff as I did for the aphids. But I am not as sure as I have not had that problem before with grubs.

Hope that helps,
    Trav
    What do you think?

Many thanks.
    -Joel from Southern California

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy a container of ladybugs from Home Depot or whereever. Sarr's really suck up ladybugs but you shouldn't have many pitchers yet so early in the season.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read about an old recipe for aphids. I use it on my flytraps with no ill effects ( 2 seasons). 1 tablespoon of coffee, 1 tablespoon of hand soap (like Ajax or Palmolive) ,and a full shot from a bottle of mouthwash. These go into a small mister bottle like a hairstylist uses, and the rest is water. Shake it up, and you have something that kills on contact (even ants) and is safe.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting as several of the CP cultivation books say not to use soap based pesticides - even homemade ones - on CPs.

You could probably just spray 50% rubbing alcohol and get the same effect.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    once upon a time I tried various neem oil products, their effect on the aphids was so-so, providing only temporary relief, it was a constant battle just to keep up (outdoor mini bog)

but with the repeated use it definitely had a negative effect on my plants, not drastic but still obvious

now i use a systemic insecticide and the effects are dramatic and long lasting (over a month with one application)

my mini bog has VFT's, Sarracenias and Dews... none of which seem to mind whatsoever, oh yeah and it doesn't seem to bother the mosses I have in my mini bog

The product I use is "Bayer advanced rose and flower" in the spray bottle... (wal-mart)

Ive not tried the ortho products.... so I cant compare, probably just as effective and maybe more so, but I see no reason to change, the Bayer works great...

of course your mileage may vary

Av

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Av8tor1. If you're going to keep it outside, a systemic insecticide is like the adage, "an ounce of prevention is a pound of cure".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used Orthene on my VFTs, Sarracenia, and Drosera for years with great results. However, I would wait until you see a problem before spraying your plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully the aphids will keep their distance.
    -Joel from Southern California

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast