Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How I turned 2 VFTs into 49 VFTs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the real question is.. how many times did you poke a hole in your hand instead of the cup? xD
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried leaf cuttings with a green dragon and a red dragon....both didnt germinate...those wheere when I just recieved the plants from an online store which apparent had them in soil for 5 months.

However, I used a 1 yr old VFT with a nice corm size.....took some pieces of the white corm that was left over from cut leaves from last season and put them on peat....it germinated into like 6 plants (from 3 cuttings).

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Varun- just a termiology thing- cuttings "strike", seeds "germinate (someone's bound to correct you sooner or later, figured I'd beat the rush)

That's a cool experiment Presto, I should try something like that too, thanks for the inspiration
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now imagine if you were to tissue culture the VFT. 2 or 3 sections per leaf, one section per flask. Each successful flask yielding on the average of 30 plantlets (wild guess). Then you can reflask those plantlets and maybe again yield 20-30 plantlets per flask. The mind boggles.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Now imagine if you were to tissue culture the VFT. 2 or 3 sections per leaf, one section per flask. Each successful flask yielding on the average of 30 plantlets (wild guess). Then you can reflask those plantlets and maybe again yield 20-30 plantlets per flask. The mind boggles.
    I wonder then... If so many clones can be made by TC (because it's so successful), then why are the "rare" cultivars... rare? For example, why are the 'Fused Tooth' and 'Jaws' cultivars not as common as the big three? Any ideas?
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because they probably want to keep it rare. Just a guess.
    Do you think you could do this under fluorescents? I mean, Presto only had them in a northeast facing window, so they wouldn't get much less sun.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question. It is interesting that AgrStart3 registered the 'Cupped Trap' cultivar yet they don't have it listed for sale or available for sale on their website. And according to the ICPS AgriStarts isolated the clone in 1998 but did not register the cultivar until 2003.

A lot of the "cultivars" out there are variations that cropped up in tissue culture - such as 'Green Dragon' (from TC of 'Akai Ryu' aka 'Red Dragon'). It's possible that even in tissue culture these clones revert to type and yield a low percentage of the rare clone.

I don't know, I'm just speculating.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Presto how are they doing? All survive? You inspired me to do my own similar project. You can check out mine to see my results!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast