Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How I turned 2 VFTs into 49 VFTs

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found it! I must have been thinking about this thread by Not a Number.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Stop having a boring tuna, stop having a boring life! neon-eon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This evening I bought a venus fly trap from fred meyers...I was originally going to plant it in my vft garden, but I remembered this post and decided to do what you did...I skipped the water part though, and placed them on wet, milled sphagnum, and sprinkled some more milled sphagnum on top (unfortunatley I don't have LFS)...well, even if only have of them make it, I should still have about 20, and even that would be awesome... thanks for this inspiring post
    -Gabe
    -No matter what you do with your life, I still care about you. -Mr P.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How could you do this?!!? I just decided that tonight was the night to start my version of this experiment and it pained me to rip apart those poor things!

If this works, I'll let everyone know. I had leaves from two different plants divided up between two identical containers of purified water. One had rooting hormone dissolved into it and the other was straight up water. Both are in large ziplock bags with a small bit left unzipped and are under some shop lights side by side.

Should the water have been just enough to cover the bottom of the container or deeper? Are submerged leaves a waste of time?

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I broke up my typical big VFT into like 10 + pieces after it started rotting. ALl the parts except the rotted ones have started growing already. I got like 5 or 6. As long as u have good enough light...decent pure water, good plant to start off with (VERY VERY IMP)...it should work no problem.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ilbasso View Post
    How could you do this?!!? I just decided that tonight was the night to start my version of this experiment and it pained me to rip apart those poor things!

If this works, I'll let everyone know. I had leaves from two different plants divided up between two identical containers of purified water. One had rooting hormone dissolved into it and the other was straight up water. Both are in large ziplock bags with a small bit left unzipped and are under some shop lights side by side.

Should the water have been just enough to cover the bottom of the container or deeper? Are submerged leaves a waste of time?
    When using sealed bags or containers it is best to monitor for molding. Your approach should work, though. A couple years ago had a tray of sweampy, live LFS. All I did was place the leaves on top of the LFS, fully exposed, and right at the window sill. That also worked. I get clusters of plantlets from each leaf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should I open the bags more?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't. Thta's one of those things in life that the outcome proves one wise or foolish and people can say "I told ya so" if things fail. Most of the time a sealed bag for leaf cuttings dorsn't result in mold. It's just that anything sealed has a greater risk. It's like a mini-terrarium environment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ilbasso, how did it go?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast