What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Venus Suntrap? What?

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
News is, or maybe rumour, I'm not sure, it was recorded that someone mixed a D. regia with Dionaea and it produced germinated seed that were weak and died within a week, and, someone mixed a Ping with a Utricularia and it made flat, greasy leaves with bladders on the roots.

Gah? Has anyone heard of anything of this?

Old news and AFAIK nothing ever came of it.

I call BS on the ping/utric hybrid. Bunch of crap. Hybridization doesn't work that way

Can't happen anyways, they aren't in the same genus.

Wrong. Intergeneric hybrids are entirely possible. Look at orchids. Just because it hasn't been done yet does not mean it's not possible, especially as our technology grows the likelihood becomes greater.

However there is supposed to be a ping with bladders on it's roots.
I think that I read something about that on ICPS or Barry's book.
I would think that it might be somewhat fesable, considering that there might had been a late jumper in the ping/utric evolution.

You're thinking of P. utricularioides and it doesn't have bladders on it's roots but rather can produce leaves with "spooned" lamina that look like it could be related to Utricularia but that's it. It also had flowers with some.. extra lobes or fused lobes or something that further hint to an ancestral link.

An interesting sounding ping JLAP. I checked it out at A world of Pinguicula and it doesn't sound like it will be introduced into cultivation any time soon :-( :censor: That would be a neat one to grow.

I'm still waiting for that infamous cross between a butterwort and a VFT!:0o:

I'm still waiting for that infamous cross between a butterwort and a VFT!:0o:

SWEET. LOL. What about a cross of Drosera and Dionaea? Ahh, but such aspirations are not possible any time soon as I see it.

aren't dionaea and drosera supposed to very closly related. i've read somewhere they have almost the same genomes...

Back