Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Venus Flytraps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry New to Venus Flytraps

Ok, so i have the Sarr's down. They are exploding with growth in my zone 7 outdoor bog throughout last year and are already sending up flowers and new pitchers this year. So i figure i will try some VFTs(6) in the bog. Well since i got them from this place that grows them outside, i went ahead and transplanted them into my bog(Past two weeks of 60-70 degree weather). Well 4 days later 2 nights of frost and the only snow of the season. Yesterday we get a freaking rain storm all day/night and the bog completely flooded. THe VFTs have been under water for , oh, i dont know 24 hrs (THe holes i drilled to take care of potential flooding are not draining fast enough b/c we got so much water).

I guess i just wanted to rant/see if my VFTs will actally live through all this to even make it to summer(I Have my doubts, probably will rot)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dionaea can be completely submerged for days and days, sometimes even a week or so! With little ill effects, their habitat is usually flooded like it just did, when it drains, they will most likely be fine. Not to worry, Dionaea are tougher than people credit them for.
    - NeciFiX

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they had been established in the bog, I wouldn't be too concerned. But having just travelled in the mail and transplanted could be a problem. You can either take them inside and get them nursed back to health or wait it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waters don't matter to VFTs...but if they rot.....that's never been the case with me tho. I'd be more worrried about the temps.

-Jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    If they had been established in the bog, I wouldn't be too concerned. But having just travelled in the mail and transplanted could be a problem. You can either take them inside and get them nursed back to health or wait it out.
    I agree. Being submerged underwater shouldn’t present too much of a problem. If your plants are quite new and are barely adjusting to your outside conditions and your bog, then the downpour could have added enough stress to cause damage. Keep a close eye on them and the weather and take necessary actions to prevent further stress.

Good luck!
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that the only concern should be their recent planting into the bog. But overall, you live in a great place to grow them. They won't mind the frost or the flooding. You should be fine. Once they get established in the bog they should take off. VFT's really like deep, ample room in which to grow. A bog is ideal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments. I read alot about them before i bought and it seems the only conflicting info i find is the water levels. Some people, like bugweed, seem to have success with semi-aquatic conditions and others seem to experience rot in short periods of time. I figure if they live through this then they will grow back stronger. I thought about transplanting them back into a pot but it is supposed to be in the 60-70 for the next week which means 70-80 here soon. It would probably stress them more to move them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah...don't move them. They should pull through all this. They are tough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast