Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do YOU use clay pellets??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post do YOU use clay pellets??

Does anyone use clay pellets (like Hydroton®) as a draining layer in the very bottom of your potted CP's?? VFT's or in any other CP??

I would think that these would be ideal for holding moisture and still be able to achieve run-off and allow good aeration.

If not, why would using clay pellets be a “bad idea”? Or would using them make no difference at all in the health and growing abilities of a CP??

Thanks for your views...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't use them.. and frankly I don't know where I could GET them. If you plan on using them for a draining layer, I'd vote against it. Most CPs like to have lots of water, so drainage is unnecessary. There are some exceptions like neps and pings, but most VFTs, Drosera, and Sarrs prefer to be swamped with water.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know JMatt has been experimenting with growing Cephalotus in hydroponic clay pellets only: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107959

I don't have any experience with the pellets myself, but he says they're pH neutral. So they might not be so ideal for CPs, which love acidic soil. But it looks like he's having success so far. I'm tellin ya, his whole ARM is green.

To answer your question, I haven't heard of anyone using them as you're describing.
    -Emily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

Nope, I use a 6:4 ratio of peat and perlite (respectively) with a nice think layer of LFS on the top. Mine drain well enough.
    -Joel from Southern California

Stovepipe (The Beast) RIP My friend. JMatt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Presto,
    Hey I know you!
    My arm being green, I don't know about that! Maybe if a bucket of paint fell off a ladder on me.
    My experiment is still doing good so far.
    JMatt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm...

So, with the greater majority of CP's, a bottom drainage layer (of clay pellets, stones or whatever) is not needed then?

How does one prevent soil-loss thru the drainage holes in the pots? Or is this not really a problem since most people seem to bottom-water their plants?

And, what does having LFS as a top layer do for VFT's and other CP's?? Does it help hold moisture and oxygen in the soil or is it mostly for eye-appeal??

All I have now is dried LFS; not too eye-appealing me thinks...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peat loss through the bottom isn't a problem. You'll lose a few bits, but nothing to worry about.

Peat holds so much water anyway, nothing added will improve it's water holding abilities.

If you want added aeration, most people use perlite or sharp sand.

A top layer of live moss is mostly for aesthetics. It tends to overwhelm seedlings though.

Dried LFS will spring back to life in a few weeks when it's wetted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ahve been using aquatic plant soil (little clay chips/pellets) for pings after reading about Joseph Clemens use. I have tried on a few dews, but not on VFTs yet. I am not using it as for drainage on the bottom, but actually mixed in with the other media.
    All proofs inevitably lead to propositions that have no proof. All things are known because we want to believe in them.

My Growlist updated with available trades and pictures - PM if interested

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast