What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my vft

my vft seems to b growin a new flower stalk
i cut it off a month ago and now a new one has grown should i cut it?
also there other little tiny plants growin n the soil should i take those out?

Well, you might as well cut this one since you cut the other one. As for the little plants, are they like a moss or weed or something like that? If by chance it happens to be a baby vft growing from a root or something I would let it grow for a while. At least until it is big enough to safely transplant it.

Otherwise, if it is some sort of other weedy growth, you can try and remove it, but you will probably be unsuccessful getting it all unless you start with completely fresh and clean potting media.

xvart.

Personally, I would cut off the new stalk. By “little tiny plants” do mean small new traps growing to the side of your VFT? If so, you can leave them alone. It’s called an offshoot. Sooner or later the tiny traps will get bigger, develop their own rhizome and roots, and later the entire plant will divide resulting in two genetically identical plants. :)

If the “tiny plants” are not new traps, they are probably weeds. “Weeds” grow in my pots often. I just pull them out before they develop their roots.

EDIT: Xvart, you beat me. I’m on dial-up :p

Don't cut the stalk! Make baby VFTs you'll really appreciate it. :)

Well, if you want seed, don't cut it off. If your plant is relatively new it might be risky (health-wise). On the other hand, if you have kept it for quite some time and if it’s healthy, then there shouldn’t be too much of a problem if you let it flower and produce seed.
If you want an overall more vigorous plant, do cut it off. Like many have stated in pervious topics, if you cut off the stalk, the plant will not use its energy to make flowers and then seed. Instead, it will use it toward making new petioles and traps.

Good luck!

Is it an inside plant or an outside one? If inside, I would be more inclined to suggest snipping it. Leaf cuttings is an effective way of propogating VFT's.

On all my plants weeds just complimented my VFT. A empty soil with just a flytrap is to plain.

Back