What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
Indeed, so, today, after a Chiropractors appointment I went to Wal-Mart - severely tired. I waited for my mom after an agonizing walking back and forth, she soon came, I went off and tried to find --- that's right --- the Dionaea crying out to me. Or, the Venus Crytraps as I wish to call the ones at Wal-Mart, please feel free to use this term and please do use it however it is copyrighted. I soon went down to the Home & Garden area, and I was going to look outside but figured Wal-Mart was too stupid to put them outside. So I checked in a shaded isle, I was right. There they were. Here was the instructions as a CP Grower I felt needed to read:

Water: Keep soil moist at all times.
Lighting: Put in bright indirect light. (Don't they grow in the sun?)
Soil: If they outgrow pot put them in a larger pot with an African Violet type of mix.
Continued growth: Keep temps at 40F in winter from Nov. - Feb. so they may go dormant.
Fertilizer: The bugs act as fertilizer, but the plants may benefit from a very diluted orchid fertilizer.

That was better than I've seen sometimes, but still lacked much information. They were in humidity domes with holes in the top, so it wasn't that bad. I even kept these cups to put Humidity loving plants in! Haha!

After saying to myself, "They're all going to die," a woman stopped behind me and said "Why? No bugs?" I was a little startled but went "Oh, no, they are sun loving plants, they can survive without bugs" I said, she said "Ohhh." Then her husband went "Oh yeah, I had one when I was a kid, Venus Flytraps eh? Cool!"

That was the end of that.

After picking out the best specimens (I was saddened to see some plants with about 6 black flower stalks and all closed traps, looks like I got there at the point after kids poked the living hell out of them, but before they were in too bad of a condition to reverse), with admirably large traps, some have over an inch! I found two like this, and one with smaller traps but what looks like about 6 different plants OR one plant with a rhizome begging to be divided.

They were 5$ a piece, after running around the store 30 times, my feet hurting, eyes drooping, I closed them for a minute and smashed into a rack. Oops. The Dionaea were being tossed around, but not tipping. After about 45 minutes I found my mom, explained them to her and she thought they looked beautiful, I then proceeded to go get distilled water, and 3 pots. When I went to get the pots, I saw the Dionaea again and wanted to get them all or tell them that they needed to be outside to survive longer. But, I figured they wouldn't care. Maybe I should work there and raise a CP area with proper care information. Hmm.

So, I got about 30$ in stuff (now only 20$ for next months allowance, sigh) and I have saved three Dionaea, they are outside, I will not acclimate them, I don't like doing this and they are in a poor state, so, I figure they could use the sunlight. It'll be cloudy for a few days anyway, so that should do.

I also got 6 gallons of distilled water. Yay.

So, I saved some Dionaea, I looked for Sundews or "odd orchids" LOL, aka Nepenthes (kudos to whoever bought a plant from a lady who called them that) but, I didn't find anything. I did find some Ping-looking things, but were labeled something else and weren't sticky. I found a hairy looking ping with no dew and not labeled that way, so, Dionaea were the only ones there.

Comments? I'm going to go nap now. Thanks.

By the way, I got an Icee too! XD.

They have neps at Walmart?!

Ahh.. everyone has those moments where they just want to save all the helpless VFTs.. but once you get your Icee you forget all about it and drown in a beautiful Icee dream.

I've never seen neps at Walmart but they do sell terrible looking ones at Lowes.

Chrono: XD. I already drank it.

Thus the drunken icee stupor has passed.... All that remains is the memory of peace of which can only be provided by the ambrosia known as the icee... The nectar of the gods.

xvart.

Haha. Teh Icee is 73|-| 1337 p\/\/|\|3r?

No camera?

As requested.

cup.jpg

Lol.

*drools*

Mine was blue raspberry.

Not of the Icee, Chrono! LOL! I meant of NecFiX’s new plants. Jeeze…

I don't have a camera as I said.

Big traps though. Fresh out of tissue culture I'd guess.

One leaf is shriveled but has double traps! Ah!

The ones I bought --- the best ones --- look a lot better than my best VFT I've grown, I just received most of them, but still, kind of makes you feel bad, dontcha think? Lol.

Haha yeah.

I also did some snipping of flower stalks. The care information was decent, so, they'd live another 3 or 4 weeks if cared for right and picked up by someone not an idiot.

I like how you came up with Venus Crytraps. I have coined the term Venus Guytraps for certain girls I know.

quogue: XD

Mfh: I like how you noticed. I found it to be clever. Hehe.

Yeah, usually most of the VFT's at department stores are gonners...but if you come to the store right when the shipment arrives, you might get lucky. Every single VFT I own is from fred Meyers or Lowes and there all doing swell. It's all about the timing...

...*venus cry traps* lol niceeee!

Indeed.

The ones at Wal-Mart, well, most of them, had already been poked and flowered. These ones should survive, they look in great condition for Wal-Marters.

I have my own wal-mart rescuee outside...its fully recovered by this point, has nice large traps, is putting out a frickin' ton of leaves, and the sphagnum it came in has started growing.

Back