What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

whats up w ventura county?

i went to every single nursery, hardware shop, garden center in oxnard and ventura and none of them had vfts
is this happening anywhere else?

Just this weekend I saw VFTs from Bloomrite (Nursery Man's Exchange), Gubler's and Altman's Plants down here in LA.

What I haven't been able to find for over a month is perlite or peat without the crummy Miracle-Gro. Well I did huge bags of perlite Sunday but I have no place to store anything that big.

which one is the best? gublers, bloomrite, or altmans?

The only strange thing I have noticed is that the Wal-Marts in my area have not supplied VFTs in a LONG time. They do have peat and perlite (Schultz brand) though.

Hmmm, I'll have to try Wal-Mart - hate them worse than HD or Lowe's. I even emailed Scott's and they gave me a list of places near me that supposedly ordered the Scott's brand (no Miracle-Gro). Nothing.

As for which VFT is best? They're all about the same. You have to look carefully at every plant and just find the healthiest looking ones. Sometimes you'll run into a cultivar or two - Lowe's looked like they were 'Dentate' types (Gubler's). I found a 'Cupped Trap' at HD back in Jan (Gubler's). Altman's and Bloomrite/Nursery Man's Exchange seem to have more of the pots with multiple VFTs in them. I pickup an Altman's pot that's overflowing with VFTs - impossible to count until I get around to picking the rhizomes apart. There has to be at least six plants in there - maybe even a dozen. But go for the healthiest looking ones.

I suspect Bloomrite and Gubler's are just reselling VFTs from AgriStarts III - a huge wholesale nursery / tissue culture factory in Florida. Maybe Altman's too, but from their website they make it sound like they do their own propagation of VFTs. Well, Gubler's makes it sound that way too.

do u think they only have them n stock on certain seasons?

Buy some from Andrew, then you can get a green name and extra pm's and uploading space.

Yeah, buy 'em from Andrew, and at least you'll know they are healthy off the bat.

Back