Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: need help asap

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might take a while but it should recover unless the plant is sickly to begin with.

I repotted two of my VFTs in Feb. One I repotted three times because too much of the rhizome was exposed - it's one of those that the leaves want to spring the bulb into the air when unearthed. For 3 - 4 weeks no growth at all. Finally a couple of deformed leaves. It's finally producing leaves about the size before repotting - but now it's putting up another flower stalk. I had clipped a flower off it about a month before repotting. Where as the other plant put out a couple smaller leaves but now is surpassing the leaves in size to what it had before repotting. 1.5+ inch traps. Also it was putting out two leaves for every one the three timer was.

To be fair I put quite a bit of stress on the plant in holding the leaves in place and trying to keep the bulb at a decent depth. More careful or gentle handling would probably have shocked the plant less and not put off its growth as much.

The more you handle them the more chance for misadventure.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah! definately expect 3 weeks or so of waiting...unless ur VFT's were happy before the repotting. Don't worry....when I potted my VFT's, I had the same problem as well.. I potted them in peat with slow release fertilizer (scultz peat moss) and after 3 hrs realised while looking at the pics that it was fertilizer. I had to unpot, keep them back wrapped in wet sphagnum moss, then next day, buy the nice raw bale of peat.

Another lesson is to STICK with the brand u have got success with. I stick with scultz perlite + gardner's peat moss. They seem to work well with my plants atleast. I will never change the recipe unless the companies go out of business or start mixing crap in them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a bale of peat from homedepot they should still have it it was $12

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, rinse perlite in a bucket of water. Theres usually little rocks in it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have room to store anything larger than a pillow in my apartment. All the HDs around here have a bags large and small of the Miracle-Gro stuff. All the bales are sold out. The landscaping business booms in spring in LA - all the businesses are replanting their landscaped areas. Stuff gets sold out within hours of them stocking it on the shelves and bins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The peat I have is like a cube.. it's Canadian.. It has French stuff written all over it. "PREMiER Sphagnum Peat Moss" "TOURBE DE SPHAIGNE" It's packed in bulk so I doubt there's any fertilizer in it... bulk is always good.. still make sure you check and see if there's fertilizer in it.

If you're really worried about your VFT recovering from disturbing the roots, you could try and get some SuperThrive. It supposedly completely cancels out any root shock that the plant might have.. I have not had the pleasure of using it yet but I've heard good things.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen those peat bales at Lowe's, the problem is storage space at home, plus they didn't have them a couple weeks ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    unless everywhere stops carrying your brand
    Updated Growlist!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast