0 Thread(s)
    Still trying to figure out where to put mine. :P
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so i finally bought a premade mixture of sand and perlite from a grower but 1 gallon isnt enough
    im gonna go to the store right now to buy sphagnum peat and perlite mixture. is it safe to pot the vfts in a sphag/sand/perlite mixture? plus, is it still ok to repot the plants even though it's late spring?
    Go White Sox!!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -J Hendrix

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THe mix should be fine. VFTs aren't too picky as long as there is sphagnum of some sort in the mix (LFS/Peat/Live) anywhere from 50%-100%. I'd rinse the mix (sand/perlite especially) a couple times and let it drain good before repotting.

Growth might be put off by as much as 3-4 weeks but they should recover. Keep the roots moist and try to minimize the physical stress you place on the plants.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jiana54 View Post
    so i finally bought a premade mixture of sand and perlite from a grower but 1 gallon isnt enough
    im gonna go to the store right now to buy sphagnum peat and perlite mixture. is it safe to pot the vfts in a sphag/sand/perlite mixture? plus, is it still ok to repot the plants even though it's late spring?

NO! Don't buy premade mixes again! That's like bottling tap water and selling it! Sphagnum peat and sand are cheap as crap and are available in bulk quantities! I think I still have a third of a bale left in the garage.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Clint's right. When you said grower I was thinking another CPer. Unless you're 100% sure there is no fertilizer in the mixes don't use them. Plus what kind of sand? Horticultural or pure silica should be okay. Anything else, no good.

Hint! Hint! - you can plant them in 100% live Sphagnum moss or LFS or a mixture of the two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    NO! Don't buy premade mixes again! That's like bottling tap water and selling it! Sphagnum peat and sand are cheap as crap and are available in bulk quantities! I think I still have a third of a bale left in the garage.

roger that, jlap. won't buy any premade mixes at all anymore. i just wasnt too confident with my own supply of sphag + perlite. i kept thinking that im gonna end up killing the plants.
    Go White Sox!!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -J Hendrix

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're buying from a reputable CP seller/nursery their premix should be just fine. They buy the stuff in bulk too for their own plants and just put some aside to sell. It tends to be pretty pricey for what you get - the shipping charges were probably more than the bag of mix.

In a pinch you gotta do what you gotta do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so while i was taking the plants out of the pot, i felt the media and it was really mushy and a slimy. is this due to overwatering? how could i not overwater though? its always windy and sunny where i live. so the wind and the sun pretty much dries out the surface of the media. can i vfts and sarrs live in a dried surface media just as long as the roots are moist?
    Go White Sox!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast