Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My 1st Venus fly trap [HELP]

Sarracenia in another life.... rockstarcobain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VFT's Darlingtonias.... They are really easy if you have the either the right climate, or enough patience. I live in Washington, so we have pretty Mediteterrainian(that's spelled wrong, huh? lol) climate. It's fairly easy to grow Cobra's or VFT's.. Just put them outside in full sun or bright shade, keep water in that water tray. And leave them alone! That's it. Enjoy your newfound hobby, and trust me.... it'll get expensive, but it'll be more exciting as the CP bug digs deeper into your skin!
    It is better to burn out, than to fade away....

Grow List
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=108495

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes i am getting addicted to CP's
    I bet you're reading this huh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Hi! i live in Long Beach to!!!!!
    "But I like being Evil....It makes me happy" Venom

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just up the coast in Venice.

All my Sarracenia and VFTs are on my west facing covered balcony. They get 4-6 hours of direct sunlight daily. They are growing well and coloring nicely. See the flytrap photos here from last week. The trap with the green margin on the second 'B52' is now completely red and almost as dark as the rest.

Put the flytrap on the west windowsill if you don't want to put it outside. Just provide some sort of shade for the pot or the roots might cook as happened with my Drosera capillaris x rotundifolia.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, I grow all my VFTs inside and they are not looking bad either. Well...actually at this time they are kinda looking bad. These both are typicals and they are looking alright after the repotting...the others are still messed up.

Hi guys,

You all know I repotted my VFT's in pots. I guess with the increased light intensity, the traps have become deep red. Even the outer edge has a wonderful line.

Here are a couple of photos I snapped when my friend came over.

So far these 2 typicals are the only plants looking good. The others will take a while.

And this is the other typical...looking good. I guess it will be a few more months....maybe next spring before I see this sight with fresh leaves.

vraev

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

Hi Peanut. Welcome; you have a fabulous looking VFT. Hopefully it will be the first of many.

Here are some tips:
    -Give it as much direct sunlight as possible.
    -During the hot summer days keep it well watered.
    -Watch out for pests.
    -Trim off the dead petioles and traps when they fully turn black/brown.
    -You don’t have to feed your plant, but if your hell bent on doing so, use a small soft-shelled insect (like a fly) no more than once about every month. (Opinions may vary here).
    -Read as much as you can regarding dormancy. Read previous topics, books, websites, and of course ask questions so that you are prepared come November.
    -About water… Try looking for Glacier Water dispensers outside of various grocery stores. A gallon of RO cost only 25 cents. They’re all over California.
    -Have fun watching your plant grow!

Vraev- The first two typicals look awesome. They look like Green Dragons!
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I leave it on my balcony it can get about 4-5 hours of sunlight but its so breezy up there. Will this make the plant unhealthy somehow?
    I bet you're reading this huh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    If I leave it on my balcony it can get about 4-5 hours of sunlight but its so breezy up there. Will this make the plant unhealthy somehow?
    Not necessarily. Just make sure it’s well watered and that its water tray is full if the ambient humidity is low. My area gets quite windy at times, and the air is always very dry. In order to avoid the pots from drying out and damage to the plants, I top dress them with a nice thick layer of dead long fibered sphagnum. It retains water very well and provides extra humidity to the plant’s foliage. I don’t think “breezy” conditions will do any harm.

Good luck!
    -Joel from Southern California

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast