Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 1st Venus fly trap [HELP]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 1st Venus fly trap [HELP]

Hey guys, on my birthday a few days ago, im 15, and my grandmother just bought me a venus fly trap from the local flower shop. It looks pretty hard to take care of from what I've seen.
    It came in a plastic bag which I took off, and a care sheet that didn't seem accurate.
    Can someone give me some tips on how to take care of this really cool plant?

this is it:

sorry for the quility. I used my dad's 1990's camera

Oh! and I water it with this:

just wanna know if it's the right water.
    I bet you're reading this huh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as long as it says distilled. your fine.

VFT's (in my experience) are more difficult than your new D. capensis. they are more light needy, need a winter dormancy, and...for me...just plain fussy. dont let me deter you though. i live in kentucky so my growing conditions are very different from yours.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well... thanks, I leave this outside on my Balcony and I leave my D. capensis on a dusty window sill. I don't know if they will live long.

That Distilled water was $2.00 -_- it doesnt even taste good(believe it or not water has taste)..at least its good for my plants. Long Beach..... it used to be 90 cents.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever noticed how monotypical genera are SO temperamental for some people? Cephalotus, Aldrovanda, Dionaea, Darlingtonia, they are just those fussy plants for some people. Am I the only one that's noticed this with monotypical genera?

Put them both in full sun. Aclimate if you want. I don't but then again I have more experience than you do. That water is expensive, try a RO refilling station and bring your own container. It doesn't taste good because it's devoid of minerals.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well...I pay 99 cents for a 4L of distillled water. Find the cheaper brands in price chopper or food basics. Always look for distilled or RO water with ppm<10 or so.

About VFt's, I find them personally not at all fussy! I guess each one has his own "genus" of speciality ! However, I still have to try dormancy with the majority of my plants.

In anyways...I recommend that you put them in a "bright, SUNNY spot". If you get direct sunlight in your balcony for like 6 hrs...your VFT will thrive as long as you water it well. And for that...VFT's don't care too much. use a tray under the pot...fill it with water and leave it be. Make sure that you don't trigger the traps un-necessarily as it costs the plant energy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hahaahaha! I am trying my best to care for them, but my parents won't help me which I think is funny Just today they got mad at me for going out and buying distelled water for my CP's xD

please, any other suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    well...I pay 99 cents for a 4L of distillled water. Find the cheaper brands in price chopper or food basics. Always look for distilled or RO water with ppm<10 or so.

About VFt's, I find them personally not at all fussy! I guess each one has his own "genus" of speciality ! However, I still have to try dormancy with the majority of my plants.

In anyways...I recommend that you put them in a "bright, SUNNY spot". If you get direct sunlight in your balcony for like 6 hrs...your VFT will thrive as long as you water it well. And for that...VFT's don't care too much. use a tray under the pot...fill it with water and leave it be. Make sure that you don't trigger the traps un-necessarily as it costs the plant energy.
    On my balcony, the most strong sunlight I get is about 4 hours and if im lucky..5 all my windows and bolconys face west and since the sun rises in the east this is a bad situation for them.
    I want to try terranium, but lots of people said its a bad idea for a begginer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its not a bad idea. it can be overwhelming though. and before you know what is and isnt neccesary id ask some questions and look through past threads. i used a terrarium for a while. but it got kind of expensive.

JLAP: i noticed this a few months ago. really funny! although i dont find cephalotus or darlingtonia hard at all. i wonder if one of those becomes a polytypic(right word?) genus then it will become easy
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast