What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Venus flytrap "Tree" soon available!!

MMMM HMMMM the apical meristem would be the center of the rosette down inside the bulb like-rhizome. An easy way to think of it is like a banana tree, where the apical meristem is not at the top under the newest proto leaf, but rather and the bottom of the pseudostem (the "trunk" of a banana tree")

They'd be found on the bottom the the leaf lamina, so under it. I don't know if they would be found under the petiole. I never thought of it. It makes sense.

Is this thing still producing leaves normally (i.e. out of the rhizome) or only from the stalk?

So if you clip the stalk there's a possibility it may not produce any more trap leaves. Weird

You know, I'm not sure. My guess is that it would either grow more on stalk, or not grow any. But it could go back to rosette as a "normal" vft does when you clip the flower stalk.

Uh, sorry to rain on th parade, but this is nothing new. Flytraps that have had their flowerstalks pinched tend to do this if you take off the subsequent shoots. It's the plants way of reproducing if it finds that it cannot produce flowers. So yes, to answer another question that has been raised, the miniature plants on the flowerstalk can be replanted as seedlings. If you leave them, they may actually fall off and root themselves.

even though he has several plants from the same place that are doing this???
Alex

Of course it's been done. And maybe not even that rare. First off I was sharing how cool it looked :) Second, if I do have a batch of plants that is more prone to it (IE they do it again next year upon having their flower stalks cut) Does that make them something special? I'm watching the top growth very carefully, it almost looks like the plant is trying to grow beyond where I've cut the flower stalk. But still too early to confirm or deny :)
Andrew

Of course it's been done. And maybe not even that rare. First off I was sharing how cool it looked :) Second, if I do have a batch of plants that is more prone to it (IE they do it again next year upon having their flower stalks cut) Does that make them something special? I'm watching the top growth very carefully, it almost looks like the plant is trying to grow beyond where I've cut the flower stalk. But still too early to confirm or deny :)
Andrew

True, if you have a strain that seems to be more suceptable to it than your other plants then you may be on to something. What needs to be done is check and see if you can get these stalks to do this repeatably, and how many times (On average) you have to pinch the stalk to get the desired 'tree' like growth. Also worth looking into: see how long the flower stalk has to be before it begins the tree like growth after being pinched. If you can get a consitant result with a certain number of cuttings at a certain height, then you have just found the easiest way to propagate the plant imaginable. That and the fact that it just looks awsome would net you enormous sales for having a strain that is both curiously unique, and easy to replicate at the same time.

the multiples that I have are currently doing this on different height flower stalks. As I see them I pinch off the top bud part of the flower and the stalk remains. This is typical of how I've always done this. But I've never come across this growth ever before. These plants have only sent 1 flower stalk each as there are none more to see that have been snapped off. All good stuff to check out and note :)

BTW: Welcome to TerraForums!!! :D

the multiples that I have are currently doing this on different height flower stalks. As I see them I pinch off the top bud part of the flower and the stalk remains. This is typical of how I've always done this. But I've never come across this growth ever before. These plants have only sent 1 flower stalk each as there are none more to see that have been snapped off. All good stuff to check out and note :)

BTW: Welcome to TerraForums!!! :D

So, has the plant sent out an entirely new stalk when it begins the tree like growth, or does it continue on from the one that you pinched? And another thing: How long after you pinched the bud did the abnormal growth become noticeable?
And, thanks for the welcome!
(So many 'and's! :eek: )

It seems to create the plantlets on the flower stalk not a new one. I'm not sure how long it took, I have quite a few VFTs (in the hundreds) and there is no way to know when I pinched off that one in comparison to the one next to it.
You're welcome :)

Okay something new and unexpected has happened. As you can see in the earlier detailed pictures, these plants seem to grow individual plants along the flower stalk. Today while checking out the greenhouse, I noticed one of those "plantlets" on the flower stalk had send up their OWN flower stalk. I only got 1 quick picture since my batteries were dead from taking other pictures... Here it is:

haha! that's THICK!

let us know if the new flowerbud mutates :) and if not show us the flower it might be completly different aswell

At the point I saw it, it looked pretty normal to me. The first thing I wanted to do is cut it off and see if the same happens to that stalk as the original plant. The next one to flower, I'll let do so.
Andrew
P.S. Welcome to the forums! :)

At the point I saw it, it looked pretty normal to me. The first thing I wanted to do is cut it off and see if the same happens to that stalk as the original plant. The next one to flower, I'll let do so.
Andrew
P.S. Welcome to the forums! :)

thanks :) have you checked the root system of your plant btw? It must be quite abit bigger since its supporting 2 plants (or one very big tree :))

Back