What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

vft guy in SJ

VFT and Drosera lover
Well, its raining at Indy so I figured I would grab the cam and snap a few VFT shots.. Hope you enjoy :)

Steve

First up.. 1955 Typical (BobZ)

Next is a shot of my Green Dragon bowl. The bowl is 11" across and 5.5" deep. Inside are Green Dragon vfts, D. filiformis Tracii, D. nidiformis, D. capillaris, D. peltata, D. binata Multifida Extrema, and D. burmannii

These next 3 are "Creeping Death". This plant has a strange habit of growing its leaves with the traps facing upwards almost right from the start, unlike most that have the trap folded untill almost the time when the trap opens.

This is a "Fused Tooth". Notice that the previous trap looked like a typical. The newest leaf has the definate fused charictaristics.

Here are a couple shots of "Hennings Giant" This plant has pretty nice red in the traps. Probably one of my best colored plants in my collection.

This one is "Jaws" x "Petite Dragon"

Finally, here is a wide shot of a bunch of mixed plants... There are "Dingley Giant", "All Green", "Big Jaws" x self, Typicals, and a few other misc vft's and dews in here.

Nice collection. My "Creeping Death" variety looks exactly the same as yours and is at the same stage of growth. The dragon bowl is stunning.

Very nice collection. That's why you're the VFT Guy :bigthumpup:

Thanks guys... and here are a few more.

first up, Red Piranha

Next is "Pink Venus"

Here is a nice hungry "Jaws"

These next couple are "Cupped Traps". This one seems to be taking its time getting comfortable in my conditions.

This one is "B-52". It was extremely tiny when I got it but is growing consistently so far this year.

Love the "Green Dragon" bowl.

What is "Creeping Death" all about? I haven't found a good description of this var. Same with 'Burbank's Best'.

My 'Cupped Trap' is adjusting slowly too, after two flower stalks. I'm afraid to repot it and send it back further. It's finally showing the "circinate" trap spine growth that is supposed to be characteristic of this cultivar:

Love the Pink Venus!!

My pink venus is a one year old runt. I got it two months ago and it's at a good growth rate. Can't wait 'til it sizes up! :banana2:

Thanks everyone for the nice comments about the Green Dragon bowl. That is one of my favorite displays also.

Nice collection. My "Creeping Death" variety looks exactly the same as yours and is at the same stage of growth. The dragon bowl is stunning.

Hi Phong, long time no see. Does your plant show the same charactaristic of the upwards facing traps?

What "Creeping Death" all about? I haven't found a good description of this var. Same with 'Burbank's Best'.

NAN, I honestly do not know much about this one. I received it in February from BobZ along with most of the rest of the plants from the first batch of pics. Perhaps if Bob reads this he can shed some light about this variety.

Love the Pink Venus!!

My pink venus is a one year old runt. I got it two months ago and it's at a good growth rate. Can't wait 'til it sizes up!

Fryster, my Pink Venus was purchased in July 2006, so this is my first full season with this plant. I have a small pot of 2 divisions that I made when I got it, but they are nowhere near as large as the plant in the photo. I would say that my experience is similar to yours with this one.. it grows strong and consistant.. not necessarily "fast".. but healthy.

Cheers
Steve

Great pictures! My favorites are the 'Fused Tooth' and the bowl of 'Green Dragons'.
Just curious, is your 'Red Piranha' a slow grower?

Thanks for sharing!:-O

Great pictures! My favorites are the 'Fused Tooth' and the bowl of 'Green Dragons'.
Just curious, is your 'Red Piranha' a slow grower?

Thanks for sharing!:-O

Thanks. :)

My Red Piranha was given to me as 1 year old seedlings. As you can see in the photo, taken March 10,2005, they were very small when I got them (thats a 2" pot they are in). Last spring, I repotted and traded away a couple of the larger plants, so maybe I have slower growth simply because I kept the smaller plants. They seem to be growing well this season so I am hopefull that this will be at least average with other forms in my collection.

As usual, very nice cultivation!

I thought VFT Guy might wanna see my 'lil baby Pink Venus:

Pink_VenusYellowVFT.jpg

Small, but growing. Yellow VFT there too..........

53rose.gif
53rose.gif
53rose.gif

Wow, the 2nd post's picture...That's alot of VFTs!! :0o:

Very nice and healthy plants you have there Fryster. Keep up the good work. The old coins are a nice touch too :)

Wow, the 2nd post's picture...That's alot of VFTs!!

There are actually only 14 pots in that picture. Not too many compared to others I know for sure. Quite a few need to be divided and repotted.. I expect when I do that it will tripple the number of pots in that tub. hehe

Thanks NAN

Steve

Red Piranha...

I used to have one and it died when I left home and I guess someone forgot to water it.

I loved it too, it was very cute. :(

Nice plants.

NAN, I honestly do not know much about this one. I received it in February from BobZ along with most of the rest of the plants from the first batch of pics. Perhaps if Bob reads this he can shed some light about this variety.
"Creeping Death" is a vigorous plant with upright summer leaves that was produced and named by Phil Golding. He sent the plant to me in 2003. "Creeping Death" tends to resemble "Vigorous" from Triffid Park, but my “Creeping Death” traps are larger than those on my "Vigorous" plant. It is interesting that when I list spare plants available for trade in March, more people request "Creeping Death" than any other VFT. Tells you something about the marketing power of selecting a name.
"Creeping Death"
VFTCreepingDeath2512.JPG

"Vigorous"
VFTVigorous2508.JPG

More "Creeping Death" and "Vigorous" photos can be found at
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/zphotos/VFTCreepingDeath.html
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/zphotos/VFTVigorous.html

Welcome back Carito, its been a long time. Your exuberence on the forums has been missed. Sorry to hear about your Red Piranha. Perhaps someday you will find a replacement in your mailbox ;)

Thanks for the info Bob. Its hard to tell from the photos, but does your plant have that same trait of pointing its traps upward the way mine is doing?

Nice plants!

I'm sure Bob Ziemer would be proud. Mine are just adjusting to the great outdoors, unfortunately, all of my Dionaea don't look good right now, but, they are quickly recovering from all root disturbance from shipment & poorer lighting.

what is that on the B-52 POT is that Bog Grass or some form of moss??

Back