User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to properly use a systemic insecticide on VFTs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joossa View Post
    Great! I went to Lowe’s after work today and saw a 1-pint liquid Ortho Systemic Insecticide and a container of Ortho Orothene powder for fire ants. I didn’t buy anything because I wanted to see more responses from this topic tonight and read some old topics. Seems like I’ll pick up the ready-to-use liquid systemic insecticide tomorrow.
    When needed, I use the Ortho Systemic. Another respected grower uses the Orthene (but I don't know which one). Always use at the recommended dosage (or do not use at all). Using at lower than recommended dilution can create pesticide-resistant bugs (same principle w/ fungicides). I would only use chemicals that experienced growers have recommended - many have lost good plants due to chemical issues.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarcobain View Post
    I know that some people will disagree with me, but I use 3 in 1 Garden Safe. Never had any problems.
    Clint uses that one (Schultz). I've used it on my Sarracenia and VFTs without a problem. It's neem oil based so it is not a systemic pesticide. I won't use it on my Drosera unless they were in bad shape. Sprays in general aren't good for Drosera, oil based ones particularly so.

I've used Bayer Advanced Dual-Action Rose and Flower insecticide on my Sarracenia (mealybugs). It has imidacloprid (Merit/Provado) and a pyrethroid insecticide. The Merit is systemic and the pyrethroid is a contact insecticide. On the first application I got some discoloring around the edges of the hoods and on the pitcher body of older leaves (ones that have stopped coloring). All the other leaves (shoots included) were unaffected. No reaction on the second treatment. I sprayed the crown only of one of my Drosera filiformis (aphids) with no ill effects - the systemic should take care of the aphids.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update - I used the Bayer Advanced on one of my typical VFTs three days ago and still no noticable ill effects. I found a mealybug on my 'Cupped Trap' (killed with alcohol). I'll spray the rest of my VFTs tomorrow AM.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It smells really, really good too.

The only thing that Schultz didn't work on was, ironically, a harmless but unsightly mold that was growing on a clay pot. I had to use Darcan or something sounding like that to clear that up. It's so thick, like gravy, that the spray bottle doesn't mist it, though. I had to water it down by 50% to use it in the manner that I wanted and it worked pretty good, but now the pot is slimy from the fungicide.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive used the Bayer for a couple years on vft, sarracenia, cephs and a few drosera, the only damage seemed to be to a cape alba, and it seemed like it burnt it a little... but oddly didn't bother a typical which was sitting next to it. But in both cases they only received some "overspray" so I am not sure about their exact reaction to it.

If possible I would recommend waiting on outside plants if they are in bloom. It'll kill bees and they are having enough of a hard time currently

Av

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both acephate and imidacloprid (Orhthene and Merit respectively) contain warnings on bee kill off. Acephate is actually a suspect in the massive bee die off that's been going on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At Lowe's I purchased a 24oz spray bottle of «SAFER» brand 3-in-1 Garden Spray insecticide & fungicide.

http://www.saferbrand.com/instructio...ardenspray.asp

I mainly want it to prevent molds and fungus while trying to germinate seeds.

It's considered "organic", if that means anything anymore......

Active ingredients listed are:
    • Potassium salts of Fatty Acids - 0.75%
    • Sulfur - 0.40%

Is this safe to use with CP seeds/seedlings and on their soil? Is it safe to use on adult CP's??

Thanks,
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just get some finely milled LFS aka NoDampOff

http://mosserlee.com/products/nodampoff.html

or crumble up some LFS or do what I do and shake the dust out of the bottom of an LFS bag. Same stuff.

I'd use the neem oil based stuff from Schultz (Garden Safe Fungicide3):

http://www.gardensafe.com/ProductCat...de/Fungicide3/

I've used it to get rid of fungus gnats on my Sarracenia seedlings.

I'd be leery of putting salts on CPs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast