User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to properly use a systemic insecticide on VFTs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally got the Ortho Systemic Insecticide today. I spent the last couple days trying other methods to get rid of the aphids and ants, but they didn’t work. I was hesitant in getting the insecticide mainly because I didn’t have any experience with it and wanted to prevent possible damage to the plants due to improper application.

After getting home I got a mild case of OCD. LOL. I must have read the label and attached booklet about forty times before taking action; maybe it was due to my nervousness. The booklet said to dilute 2.5 tablespoons of the insecticide in one gallon of water for use against aphids. I did as directed in my garage; using one of my RO gallons and one of those small measuring cups that comes with cough medicine to prepare the solution. Then I sprayed one of my VFT’s making sure to cover all the foliage with the liquid. It initially was sort of foamy, then it had the consistency (or appearance) of water. The ants died on contact, and some of the aphids stayed on the developing traps (this was were they were mostly concentrated)(also I should note that they were too small to tell whether they died or not…). I let the plant sit in my garage for about half an hour and I then took it outside, where it was not receiving direct sunlight (it was already sundown around 6:45).

So, I have to ask, does this seem all right? I will obviously keep an eye on the plant for the next four to five days an watch out for an abnormalities and to make sure the aphids have gone, and then later treat the other VFTs. Also, the label said not to store the diluted solution… did they mean not to store it for long-term use? Will it be okay if I use it in 3 weeks for another application? On last thing… the bottle did not have any type of “use by” date or an expiration date. Since I did not use very much at all will the product be usable for (let’s say) next year?

Thanks so much for the help and sorry for the long essay post (LOL)… maybe this will help someone with the same problem in the future.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Just get some finely milled LFS aka NoDampOff

http://mosserlee.com/products/nodampoff.html

or crumble up some LFS or do what I do and shake the dust out of the bottom of an LFS bag. Same stuff.

NEWBIE QUESTION -------> "What make milled LFS so good for seedlings?" "Is standard peat too heavy, too dense for sowing?"
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joossa View Post
    I finally got the Ortho Systemic Insecticide today. I spent the last couple days trying other methods to get rid of the aphids and ants, but they didn’t work. I was hesitant in getting the insecticide mainly because I didn’t have any experience with it and wanted to prevent possible damage to the plants due to improper application.

After getting home I got a mild case of OCD. LOL. I must have read the label and attached booklet about forty times before taking action; maybe it was due to my nervousness. The booklet said to dilute 2.5 tablespoons of the insecticide in one gallon of water for use against aphids. I did as directed in my garage; using one of my RO gallons and one of those small measuring cups that comes with cough medicine to prepare the solution. Then I sprayed one of my VFT’s making sure to cover all the foliage with the liquid. It initially was sort of foamy, then it had the consistency (or appearance) of water. The ants died on contact, and some of the aphids stayed on the developing traps (this was were they were mostly concentrated)(also I should note that they were too small to tell whether they died or not…). I let the plant sit in my garage for about half an hour and I then took it outside, where it was not receiving direct sunlight (it was already sundown around 6:45).

So, I have to ask, does this seem all right? I will obviously keep an eye on the plant for the next four to five days an watch out for an abnormalities and to make sure the aphids have gone, and then later treat the other VFTs. Also, the label said not to store the diluted solution… did they mean not to store it for long-term use? Will it be okay if I use it in 3 weeks for another application? On last thing… the bottle did not have any type of “use by” date or an expiration date. Since I did not use very much at all will the product be usable for (let’s say) next year?

Thanks so much for the help and sorry for the long essay post (LOL)… maybe this will help someone with the same problem in the future.
    You'll be able to tell if it killed the aphids in a day or so. They will turn black and dry up, but will still be stuck to the leaf. They are easy to brush off if you prefer to not leave them on the plant. It would be best to use what ever you have mixed as soon as possible. It doesn't store well. Pour it on the ant hill if you can or use it on other plants that have aphids. Just don't pour it down the drain. It may get through the wastewater treatment plant and be put into a river or stream. As to your question on the shelf life of the concentrate, I don't know how long it's good for.

Quote Originally Posted by Fryster View Post
    NEWBIE QUESTION -------> "What make milled LFS so good for seedlings?" "Is standard peat too heavy, too dense for sowing?"
    Regular LFS is too open for the tiny seeds of most CPs. They fall down into the media where they may be unable to germinate and if they land on an exposed end of LFS, it dries out before the seeds can set a good root system. Milled LFS doesn't have the large openings, so the seeds stay on the surface and the water is distibuted more evenly through the moss.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

Thanks Steve. The majority of the aphids did go away. The ones that stayed “stuck” on the foliage, did turn black, as you mentioned. So far, I have not noticed any damage to the plant. The rest of them will be srayed tomorrow night.
    Thanks for the response.
    -Joel from Southern California

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fryster View Post
    In addition to Steve's answer, standard peat can be used, after all you can buy those expanding peat plugs (just add hot water ) and cell packs as germination media. I'm not sure about the anti-fungal properties of peat vs LFS.

You can make your own milled LFS by crumbling LFS and/or scrubbing it through a wire screen.

Camomile tea misted on the seeds is supposed to be another natural anti-fungal.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Camomile tea misted on the seeds is supposed to be another natural anti-fungal.
    Hmmm, That's weird 'cause I had some sown chamomile seeds that were killed by grey mold. Oh the irony.........

I actually like chamomile tea too.
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well seeds is seeds and plants is plants. Some seeds are edible while the plant is not (ever try to eat a walnut tree?). Some plants or fruits are edible while the seeds are poisonous.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does everyone think of Neem-oil based fungicides?

And I read that Captan was also safe with CP's..........

Bad thing is that I cannot find them locally.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast