User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to properly use a systemic insecticide on VFTs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse How to properly use a systemic insecticide on VFTs?

Alright so the aphids are back and they’re not alone. The ants and aphids are taking full advantage of their symbiotic relationship on my VFTs. I have tried spraying them off, drowning them; I even moved the fortress away from the ant trial it was neighboring, but no luck! New traps are now growing slightly deformed, and I worry that it may get worse.
    So I have decided to use an insecticide to kill the little buggers and to keep them away… permanently.
    My questions:
    -What specific product would you recommend? I know several of you have mentioned Ortho, but what is the specific product I should use? Or can I simply use anything that is designated for aphid control?
    -How should I use/apply it? Can I follow the directions on the product’s label or will I need to dilute it, etc.? Does it come in a solid or liquid form?

I appreciate the help!
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question.

This I would like to know too.

And I would also add; What is a good product for dealing with fungus and mold that will not damage CP's and their seeds when sowing?
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Orthene seems to work, but, I used a bad-smelling powder that I bought off of eBay for $4.50 and it killed all my pests!
    - NeciFiX

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ummm, you should be wearing a dust mask or respirator when working with these chemicals...

Most pesticides come in many forms:

granulated - mix into the soil
    wettable product (WP) - a powder that you mix with a liquid (or directly into the soil). These are usually not water soluble and just form a slurry with water - you have to constantly mix it or add an emulsifier (soap or oil based - not good for CPs). These leave the powder when dried.
    liquid concentrate/water soluble powder - add water or whatever to dilute to working concentrations - spray or drench - usually does not leave much of a residue.
    ready-to-use - can be a powder but usually liquid pre-diluted to working concentrations in a pump spray bottle or aerosol can

Use according to directions. Using in lower than recommended concentrations or frequency could result in insects resistant to the pesticide.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you decide to use Orthene, put it in the truck of your car or the bed of your truck which ever you have... Man that stuff stinks and your neighbors, well lets just say they will know your using it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

Great! I went to Lowe’s after work today and saw a 1-pint liquid Ortho Systemic Insecticide and a container of Ortho Orothene powder for fire ants. I didn’t buy anything because I wanted to see more responses from this topic tonight and read some old topics. Seems like I’ll pick up the ready-to-use liquid systemic insecticide tomorrow.

My main concern was that the recommended dose on the label would be too much for a CP to handle, guess I was wrong. Thanks for the responses! I really appreciate it!
    -Joel from Southern California

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Test it on one plant first and wait a couple of days to see how it reacts. They don't list what's in the inactive ingredients which could be anything and is what usually causes the trouble. The propellents in aerosol cans are suspect too.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Sarracenia in another life.... rockstarcobain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that some people will disagree with me, but I use 3 in 1 Garden Safe. Never had any problems.
    It is better to burn out, than to fade away....

Grow List
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=108495

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast