What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

will vft do a good job of insect controll?

theweedking24

theweedking
unfortunetly i know they dont eat spiders :( but was jus wondering

Actually, they will eat spiders (or at least try!). Most times spiders are caught it is because they are trying to eat the remains of an already digested bug when the trap reopens. However, since it takes a few days for a vft to complete the digestive cycle you won't control too many bugs too quickly. I would recommend getting a D. adelae or D. capensis. Mine grow inside and are literally covered in tiny little bugs (the unfortunate side effect of living in a very old building with many poor seals around the doors and windows). My mother in law also gave me a peace lily infected with thrips or something like that and when I put all my dews next to it it practically went away over night! Good luck!

xvart.

No not really.

Venus Flytraps at most in great conditions will have at most 20 trap leaves, and assuming each one captures a bug, that's only 20 bugs, and you have to wait a week for them to open back up. Considering there is thousands of insects around you and each day many more come into life and after a few closures assuming the very next day they all reopen they will not be able to close anymore.

A large Sarracenia, large Drosera or other sticky plant is good for catching bugs, but, as I said, it can't catch them all unless you had many, and even then that's not "all" it's only many.

If you want to control bugs that you consider pests, carnivorous plants can help, but, certainly should not be your main method you are relying on.

If you want to control bugs that you consider pests, carnivorous plants can help, but, certainly should not be your main method you are relying on.

But it's certainly fun watching them try!

xvart.

D. binata are REALLY good at this too.

Any of the Branching dews are good. When we have fruit in our kitchen I move my Drosera 'Marston Dragon' and my Drosera Dichotoma "Giant" next to them. It's how I entertain myself because the gnats go CRAZY over the dew and you can literally watch them leave the fruit for the dew and get stuck. When that happens I usually go "BAM!"

Sarracenias also do a decent job.

i have to agree that the plant is not a good method of insect control. i just keep mine because i like em and a long time ago, i discovered that it is one of the few plants my stupid butt can't kill very easily.

Moved topic to VFT forum. :)

Back