What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why they call it "Red Dragon" (Dial-up warning)

543716681_1101f9943b_o.jpg

These guys sure love the sun!

man alive are those beautiful. I've had some reds before, but they were kind of neon... those right there must love you greatly XD

Mostly (other than watering) I just ignore them. The rest is taken care of by Mama Nature. :)

Stunning plant and picture! How old is the plant (approximately)?

joossa, I think it's about 4-5 years old. Not sure how old it was when I bought it. It was one of the very first CPs I ever bought and I nearly killed it. In one 8 inch bowl I had d. spatulata, this VFT, a pitcher plant and p. primulaflora. I put them all in my bathroom that only has a skylight. Luckily I realized my mistake and started my roof garden. I still have every one of those plants (or the offspring). :)

joossa, I think it's about 4-5 years old. Not sure how old it was when I bought it. It was one of the very first CPs I ever bought and I nearly killed it. In one 8 inch bowl I had d. spatulata, this VFT, a pitcher plant and p. primulaflora. I put them all in my bathroom that only has a skylight. Luckily I realized my mistake and started my roof garden. I still have every one of those plants (or the offspring). :)

Ah, always great to hear about plants making a good recovery! I'm sure they're loving it outside now.

Great looking VFT by the way.

Ah, always great to hear about plants making a good recovery! I'm sure they're loving it outside now.

Great looking VFT by the way.

Thanks! They really are loving it. I just looked outside and noticed my D. nitidula x puchella are blooming. Up till now I've only seen one or two bloom at a time this season.

:banana2:

That is one of the darkest ones I've seen, especially the interior of the trap.

Now that is just beautiful! How many hours of sunlight would you say it gets?

now that is a true red dragon unleashed. WOW! look at that red.....that is wicked. :D

Luff-er-lee! I have to add some reds to my collection.

I think I killed mine,
It had traps just like
that but now it has no
laef and the stubs of
the leafs are dying :(
The rest from hawaii
is growing :-))
Even my scorpoides
are barerooting .

'datsa niiiiiicce...............

Real 'purrty red-dragon Mr. Crow. :bigthumpup:

kinda reminds me of my tiny Pink Venus, colors are very close.

Good photography too. :)

Now that is just beautiful! How many hours of sunlight would you say it gets?

During the summer it gets about 6 hours of direct (coastal) sun and gets very bright indirect light the rest of the day. It's just colored up like this in the lat month. Previously you could still see some green here and there.

I think I killed mine,
It had traps just like
that but now it has no
laef and the stubs of
the leafs are dying :(
The rest from hawaii
is growing :-))
Even my scorpoides
are barerooting .

If I'm feeling adventurous enough next year I'll try and propagate this one. I've never tried propagating a VFT yet, but this plant seems like an excellent candidate.

Well I want to try vfts in tc but still the container from hawaii has not arrived yet,then I will try it on my dentae.

Well I want to try vfts in tc but still the container from hawaii has not arrived yet,then I will try it on my dentae.

TC always seemed like more hassle than it was worth to me. I've always read that it can be very tricky to deflask. Leaf pulling just seemed so much easier. :)

'datsa niiiiiicce...............

Real 'purrty red-dragon Mr. Crow. :bigthumpup:

kinda reminds me of my tiny Pink Venus, colors are very close.

Good photography too. :)

Thanks Fryster! Photography is my other hobby.

That's pretty dang maroon! Looks good! I'm pretty impressed with how plants given to me as "big mouth" are getting so red (the side that faces the sun at least hehe)

That's pretty dang maroon! Looks good! I'm pretty impressed with how plants given to me as "big mouth" are getting so red (the side that faces the sun at least hehe)

Those are nice looking! I may have to pick up that variety. All I have right now are typicals and Akai Ryu / Red Dragon.

Back