User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Identification on an unknown strain of VFT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having looked at your last link, I did come across the name. Bloomrite is indeed the supplier. I also looked at your pictures posed in the other links, but none of them have the type of split I am encountering. It's a lot less noticeable than those you posted. It's almost like a split halfway up. You know what, I think this calls for more pictures. Hold on, I'll post some more with more tooth detail. Stay Tuned!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, go through the 'Detante' photos on BobZ photo finder. You'll see how much they vary. It differs from plant to plant depending on the time of the year and how they are grown.

http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Dionaea.html

"'Dentate Traps' (B.Meyers-Rice) Registered 30. 3. 2000 (JS) official registered cultivar name for VFTs with dentate traps. (A wild collected plant was selected because its marginal spines were noticeably mutated. Instead of being long and filiform (as is usual), the spines of 'Dentate Traps' are short and triangular. This feature is not always apparent on small traps, or those produced early in the season, but the traps on mature plants in full growth are unmistakably dentate.) described at http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cultivars/cpncultivars/v29.html" - emphasis mine
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Hort. School dropout X 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that Nurserymen's exchange had some giants avaiable earlier this year but that is all I know about them. they are indeed much larger and darker traps than the regular VFTs they had available.
    Lois
    Every seed that you plant ,doesn't sprout.
    Every seed that sprouts, doesn't make it to maturity.
    Every cutting that you stick doesn't grow roots.
    Every cutting that roots doesn't grow to a small plant.
    Every small plant doesn't reach maturity.

Who needs speelcheck?

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your plant fits the registered description for 'Big Mouth', then its a Big Mouth. Although we typically think a named cultivar MUST be a cloned plant, that is not necessarily the case. A plant that fully matched the described features of a cultivar, is that cultivar. However it must fit the descrip at all times, not just at one period during its growth.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlantAKiss View Post
    If your plant fits the registered description for 'Big Mouth', then its a Big Mouth.
    Here is what the CP Database says about 'Big Mouth'.
    ------------
    N: $[Dionaea ' Big Mouth ' {T.Camilleri}]
    P: Carniv.Pl.:16 (1998)
    S: =[Dionaea muscipula {Soland. ex Ellis}]
    HC: name not registered with IRA, description insufficient
    B: ?, before 1998
    Nominant: T.Camilleri, 1998
    Description: Carniv.Pl.:16

"A comparison of a conventional sized trap and the [Dionaea ' Big Mouth ' {T.Camilleri}] variety (sic!) which produces large traps on very short leaves."
    ------------

Unfortunately, I have not seen the original article [Carniv.Pl.:16 (1998)] that describes the plant, but if the quote from the database is complete, then virtually any VFT with "large traps on very short leaves" would fit the description -- whether green, red, or blue.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123