Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Potting Mixture Questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by celox View Post
    If you see alot of leaves dying and no new ones are being made that is an indication that something is wrong.
    yeah thats whats happening right now...even the new leaves are turning black now...

is it because its in too much sun?
    Its in DIRECT SUNLIGHT and its 83 degree F with 40% Humidity and now its 90 degree F with 20% Humidity.

should I take it out of the sun?

also, where can I find perlite in nature?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The temps should be ok for VFTs. If they are small pots the roots/rhizomes could possibly get cooked. Are they in a tray of water - maybe an inch or so.

If the peat is without fertilizer it should be fine. Usually the Canadian stuff is free of additives.

Perlite is a man-made product - siliceous rock is heated to around 3,000F which expands and the water in it turns to superheated steam creating tiny spaces in the rock. I suppose if the right sort of rock was near a volcano you might find some in nature.

http://perlite.com/faqs.htm
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm ok so if its not the heat/sun thats killing it, whats wrong with them? THey were fine before the pot broke and I repotted them in a larger pot. Now, almost all the leaves are turning black, even the newer ones and no new shoots have risen. Whats wrong, is it fixable and if so, how long will it take for them to start growing normally and healthy again?

THanks

EDIT: I think it was the sun that was killing it since almost all the old leaves are sunburned and the new leaves all burned and died.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They might just be suffering from shock from the repotting. They should start recovering in a few weeks or so. As long as you're following all growing instructions they should get better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kruegersc4 View Post
    They might just be suffering from shock from the repotting. They should start recovering in a few weeks or so. As long as you're following all growing instructions they should get better.
    dang, it takes that long....alright

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patience, grasshopper! Just wait until dormancy and it's three months without growth!

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see...

well one has started to grow again but the traps are still small/tiny compared to the ones im seeing on this site. And I mean so small that the trap size is smaller then a penny, maybe smaller or around the size of a dime. Will these traps stay this size or will they get bigger? and why are they growing such small traps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once a trap opens it won't grow anymore. I would give the plant more time to recover from the shock of being transplanted. I'm sure once it's settled in it will start growing normally again.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast