Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Potting Mixture Questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rice_smuggler View Post
    Once a trap opens it won't grow anymore. I would give the plant more time to recover from the shock of being transplanted. I'm sure once it's settled in it will start growing normally again.
    I meant, will the my VFT continue producing these small useless traps? Or will it start producing those nice big traps like eveyone else has and how long will it take?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the only reason why you keep these plants because of nice big traps? ask yourself that and make a conclusion really :s

It will recover, a rootshock is very common amongst these and many other plants. It'll take as long as the plant needs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    definately! Its always better to use a mixture of mixes rather than a pure thing. peat moss is heavy when hydrated and can compact and not give enough air.
    I went to see a big collection near me on Saturday. Everything was potted in 100% pure peat and doing brilliantly.

I use a mix personally, but it goes to show the plants are pretty adaptable.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I've even seen them growing in clay-like media. Surprised me at first.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have mine in a mix of peat and sand, with LFS on top. I can speak from experience that a shocked VFT, if it recovers, will produce smaller traps for a a few weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My VFT was outside again today and the leaves are turning a nice red color, and hopefully with more sun, a deep maroon color. The only problem is that all the new traps on the new leaves turn black before they can finish growing and opening. Is this still sunburn? and when will this stop?

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like it's still recovering from the tipped pot incident. Any time the roots are disturbed like when the plant is knocked over and the dirt around the roots breaks up, you'll have a period of time while the plant recovers. Right now it's trying to replace the parts of the roots severed when it got knocked over and that will take time. A couple weeks at least. Your plant isn't at 100% and won't be for a bit. If it were my plant I'd give it bright indirect light and keep it in a shallow tray of water until it starts growing well again. Once it's healthy I'd stick it back outside.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCarnivourKid View Post
    Sounds like it's still recovering from the tipped pot incident. Any time the roots are disturbed like when the plant is knocked over and the dirt around the roots breaks up, you'll have a period of time while the plant recovers. Right now it's trying to replace the parts of the roots severed when it got knocked over and that will take time. A couple weeks at least. Your plant isn't at 100% and won't be for a bit. If it were my plant I'd give it bright indirect light and keep it in a shallow tray of water until it starts growing well again. Once it's healthy I'd stick it back outside.
    Wow a couple of weeks to recover, ok. Are you sure about the sunlight thing cause if so then I will take it inside and grow it by flourescent light.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast